01 wr426f timming chain replacement?????

18 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 26, 2009 - 02:15 PM

i have i new timming chain and gaskets so i need to install it. i have been putting it off because im affraid ill not get it timed right if i take it apart. what all do i take apart to replace it and what is i good way to make sure i get it timed correctly? thanks :bonk:

• tribalbc

Posted October 26, 2009 - 04:44 PM

Only special tools you'll need are a flywheel puller and a torque wrench.
Do a search on this forum as well as the YZ450 forum and you'll get all the info you need.
I just did mine on my 07, there's some info in this thread.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=833176

Just double, triple, quadruple check your timing before putting it back together.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 26, 2009 - 04:53 PM

i have a torque wrench and a puller i bought for my yz426f when i was tearing it down but it became to costly to repair finding all the damage so i sold and bought a wr426f. should my yz426f puller fit my wr426f? also whats a good way to test a torque wrench for accuracy? thanks

• Strattos

Posted October 26, 2009 - 06:46 PM

Get another torque wrench that you know is accurate and use a quarter inch drive converter and tighten them against each other with them set on the same tension. They should both 'click' at the same time.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 29, 2009 - 06:55 PM

how many links should be between the two cams? also can i change my wr426f to yz timing by rotating one cam a tooth? would it give the bike more of a yz pull or what differnce would i feel riding by doing this?thanks

• matt4x4

Posted October 30, 2009 - 03:21 AM

Here's what you do:

Set the engine to TDC.
At this point, LOOK at the left and right cam - they are pointing to the outside of the engine with their lobes, you can count links if you want but when you look at the dot on each cam at the outside point - it WILL BE LEVEL with the top of the head - that's really all you need to know - just put them back the same way and verify the engine is still at TDC.

Yes you can also change to YZ timing - do a search - it's all been documented - might even be in the technical articles section......

• R_Little

Posted October 30, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Buy an auto-decompression cam out of a YZ450f while you are at it.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 01, 2009 - 03:33 PM

i got the seat, tank, and engine brackets off. think ill wait till tommorow to work on the bike when its light out cause my garage lights arent the greatest. what increase in power will i notice if i yz time my bike. will i lose bottom end power. i read it would increase mid range power and rev quicker. this site is very helpful with the cam mod http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/
its under tech articles
thanks

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 07:53 AM

is top dead center when it hits the compression where it cant be kicked any more? i asume i would set it at top dead center before removing the flywheel and staror? also do i need to be carful on the position of the flywheel when i reinstall it? thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tribalbc

Posted November 03, 2009 - 07:59 AM

is top dead center when it hits the compression where it cant be kicked any more? i asume i would set it at top dead center before removing the flywheel and staror? also do i need to be carful on the position of the flywheel when i reinstall it? thanks

Get your manual out :smirk:

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 08:52 AM

i went and read the manual and took plugs out and started turing the engine over lookin for the straight line mark too line it up. didnt find one but it looks like someone put a dot on the rotor. is this top dead center proboly should i take the valve cover off and see if the cams are facing away from each other. thanks

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 10:55 AM

ive got the engine as close to top dead center as posible. the lobes face away from each other and the roter ended up on a I mark that came right after the letter H on the rotor. something looks off to me. what do you guys think? . heres a picture of the cams. thanks for your help guys:worthy:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 12:36 PM

the cams arent in the exact same position and you can kind of see in the pics how the dots in the middle are not level with each other

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 01:01 PM

went back to the garage for another look and they look pretty close. is it normal for the marks not to match up exactally? also the manual says to remove the cam cap bolts in a cross pattern. do i just loosen one bolt then loosen the bolt diagnal to it???

• tribalbc

Posted November 03, 2009 - 01:56 PM

Does it run good?
It looks like someone timed that YZ already, there are 13pins between the 12:00 marks.
That said the timing does look a little funky.
But since your replacing your cam chain anyways just pull them and make sure you line them up right when you put it all back together.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 01:59 PM

there should be 12 pins on the 426 for yz timing and 13 for wr. yes it runs good

• tribalbc

Posted November 03, 2009 - 02:09 PM

there should be 12 pins on the 426 for yz timing and 13 for wr. yes it runs good

My bad, on the 450 it's 13 YZ and 14 WR.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 03, 2009 - 03:24 PM

got the cams out and tensioner. when i was pulling one cam cap off the cam cam with it. it wasnt stuck on there too bad but it took a small tug to seperate them. is this normnal? mabye it dindt have enough oil on it when i turned the engine over with a wrench. there was no damage to the cam that i can see or feel. now i have to get the flywheel off and stator. i cant get the nut off the flywheel. dont have a impact wrrench but i do have a fltwheel holder. its just hard to hold the flywheel still without the holder coming off and turn a rachet at the same time. didnt have anybody to help me so i think im just going to wait til tommorow to continue.

• bakeyz426f

Posted November 04, 2009 - 06:32 PM

got the nut off i just put it in gear and the flywheel didnt turn when it got to a point and gave me enough resistance to get the nut off. im hoping i didnt damage the crank sprocket by jamming it with the chain chain some how causing it not turn over. cross your fingers for me. couldnt complete the job cause the yz426f puller i have didnt fit so i had to order a wr426f puller and im still wanting for it..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.