Best muffler packing?

16 replies to this topic
  • Garage_guy_chris

Posted October 25, 2009 - 10:22 PM

Never re-packed the silencer, its getting loud, rode beside another 200 today it needs done.... 2 questions

1. How often are you guys repacking the silencer

2. what packing is the quietest and or longest lasting packing, thinking im just gonna get the genuine KTM stuff?!?!

• gmoss357

Posted October 26, 2009 - 04:22 AM

Never re-packed the silencer, its getting loud, rode beside another 200 today it needs done.... 2 questions

1. How often are you guys repacking the silencer

2. what packing is the quietest and or longest lasting packing, thinking im just gonna get the genuine KTM stuff?!?!

1. when mine starts to get loud, I change it out.

2. Moose has a packing insert that is prewrapped like factory, that's what I use.

• RayIn

Posted October 26, 2009 - 10:37 AM

THe Moose or Race-Tools 20 dollar repack inserts are handy.
I now use use fiberflass insulation packed as tight as the original, it's just a bit more difficult to do compared to the inserts.

• Hondaman24

Posted October 26, 2009 - 04:30 PM

50 to 70 hrs IMO. I like FMF packing because all I run is their mufflers. Only reason I can think of :bonk:

• DoctorDover

Posted October 28, 2009 - 04:09 AM

another vote for the moose stuff. I have used the fmf stuff with results that weren't as good at the moose !

• Dave mac

Posted October 28, 2009 - 04:31 AM

moose makes the job easy

• Footy

Posted October 28, 2009 - 06:24 AM

Another vote for moose. The hockey stick is not the easiest to repack so here is a few pointers:

[COLOR=aqua]I used the moose sock type packing not the loose stuff. The "cardboard applicator" that came with the moose stuff did not work with the bend in the silencer inner pipe. So i had some 1/2 inch pvc pipe ~ 15 inches or so long. I pushed that through the sock packing. Then the 1/2 pvc will fit into the end of the inner silencer pipe to give it something to follow through the sock without getting hung up. After the sock is on the inner pipe, I used some masking tape to squeeze the sock packing down a little tighter so it would fit into the silencer body without a hassle. Then as you push this into the body you will have to rotate the (inner pipe with the packing) ~ 90 degrees or so to help the the inner pipe past the bend in the silencer body. Once it is past the bend rotate back until the inner end cap bolt holes line up. Before putting the end caps in place use some RTV silicone sealant on both end caps to keep water out of the silencer. Also make sure to clean the spark arrestor (I used kerosene followed by water). Install the bolts and rivets and your silencer is ready to install![/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][/COLOR]

• ktmfred300

Posted October 28, 2009 - 04:37 PM

Moose racing for sure. Easy to install, quiet, lasts a long time and a reasonable price.

• Layton

Posted October 29, 2009 - 09:47 AM

Another vote for moose. The hockey stick is not the easiest to repack so here is a few pointers:

[COLOR=aqua]I used the moose sock type packing not the loose stuff. The "cardboard applicator" that came with the moose stuff did not work with the bend in the silencer inner pipe. So i had some 1/2 inch pvc pipe ~ 15 inches or so long. I pushed that through the sock packing. Then the 1/2 pvc will fit into the end of the inner silencer pipe to give it something to follow through the sock without getting hung up. After the sock is on the inner pipe, I used some masking tape to squeeze the sock packing down a little tighter so it would fit into the silencer body without a hassle. Then as you push this into the body you will have to rotate the (inner pipe with the packing) ~ 90 degrees or so to help the the inner pipe past the bend in the silencer body. Once it is past the bend rotate back until the inner end cap bolt holes line up. Before putting the end caps in place use some RTV silicone sealant on both end caps to keep water out of the silencer. Also make sure to clean the spark arrestor (I used kerosene followed by water). Install the bolts and rivets and your silencer is ready to install![/COLOR]

Which end of the silencer are you taking apart? It sounds like you may be taking apart the exhaust end. If so, that is why you are having problems getting the packing in. Take apart the intake end next time.

• dyrtmon

Posted October 29, 2009 - 09:07 PM

I just re-packed mine today for the first time. Used the FMF stuff. I pulled out a gooey mess, and after the job I'm sure the bike is 20 pounds lighter.....I'm planning on taking her out tomorrow to see if it makes a noticeable difference.

• Ben Moto Soul

Posted November 04, 2009 - 05:44 PM

The best packing money can buy is silent sport premium but its not cheap. It does however come with accurate instructions on how to pack your silencer, and it is formed quite fluffy so your packing will way less than any of the others. Packing your silencer correctly makes a fairly big difference to performance.

• porterdog

Posted November 09, 2009 - 07:12 PM

I've been using McMaster-Carr part number 9356K12 High Temperature Fiberglass Sheeting. For $20 you get a 24x96" sheet....

Just redid my KDX with this.

A) With 800 miles on the first re-pack it didn't need redoing.

:smirk: the piece I used to repack this time was ~8.5"x11". I can get roughly 24 repacks from a sheet...

• gprodick

Posted November 09, 2009 - 10:28 PM

I've been using McMaster-Carr part number 9356K12 High Temperature Fiberglass Sheeting. For $20 you get a 24x96" sheet....

:smirk: the piece I used to repack this time was ~8.5"x11". I can get roughly 24 repacks from a sheet...

Now we're talking. A dollar per repack! I love McMaster-Carr.

Their viton o-rings for the expansion chamber are light years better than stock, never leak, and are a fraction of the OEM price.

• GyroRon

Posted November 10, 2009 - 04:29 AM

I use pink insulation from Lowes.... less than 10 dollars gets you enough to repack 3 or 4 times. Works just as good as anything else in my opinion.

• 77rednecktruck

Posted November 10, 2009 - 08:48 AM

I use pink insulation from Lowes.... less than 10 dollars gets you enough to repack 3 or 4 times. Works just as good as anything else in my opinion.

x2 pink Panther insulation is where it's at.

I ripped off the paper backing, wrapped some around the pipe, and held the insulation in place with a few masking tape pieces. It only takes a few minutes to do and lasts a long time.

• EXxrldtgnow300dtg

Posted November 10, 2009 - 09:22 AM

:ride: the piece I used to repack this time was ~8.5"x11". I can get roughly 24 repacks from a sheet...

I just read your post over at KTMtalk about this. I just ordered (2) 10paks of their O rings for my pipe yesterday and they are getting delivered today.:smirk:

• porterdog

Posted November 10, 2009 - 12:16 PM

I just read your post over at KTMtalk about this. I just ordered (2) 10paks of their O rings for my pipe yesterday and they are getting delivered today.:smirk:

Do you live near me? I'd swap a piece of silencer glass for some o-rings!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.