426 high rpm sputter

8 replies to this topic
  • shrekmoose

Posted October 25, 2009 - 04:08 PM

I just recently developed a high rpm sputter on my 2001 426. bike sat for about a month (had a broke subframe bolt to fix) and when I fixed it and started it now has this sputter. I noticed when I was doing my subframe that my exhaust band clamp was loose and exhaust could just be pulled off by hand. So I tightened it all back up and while it has got rid of my popping on decel, it makes it to where when i open it up with the rpms up it misses and kinda sputters. Any ideas what this may be? maybe jetting is off now?

• phart2005

Posted October 26, 2009 - 04:21 PM

Hows the spark plug look?

• shrekmoose

Posted October 27, 2009 - 12:46 PM

good question ill look when I get home.

• Lor

Posted October 27, 2009 - 07:09 PM

Old gas???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrThumper

Posted October 28, 2009 - 01:42 PM

Main jet clogged, lacquered up from non-use.

• shrekmoose

Posted October 29, 2009 - 02:50 PM

so in other words imma have to tear into my carb no matter what pretty much. I am hoping its in the carb, i have lost alot of compression until it warms up. I assume my rings are not sealing well. So looks like there is a top end in the near future. Would that have anything to do with the miss?

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2009 - 03:42 PM

... i have lost alot of compression until it warms up.

That is a symptom of tight intake valves.

• shrekmoose

Posted November 01, 2009 - 12:31 PM

would that cause the sputter, or is that more than likely just cause its an older bike and never had the valves adjusted before?

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2009 - 04:01 PM

would that cause the sputter, or is that more than likely just cause its an older bike and never had the valves adjusted before?

Dirty carb, bad plug.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.