KX 250 Siezed Up

29 replies to this topic
  • PAKDXYZ

Posted December 17, 2009 - 10:25 AM

Finally got around to splitting the cases. Here are some pictures of what I found. Also as a note it is well worth spending the money on the correct tools, it made the job so far a breeze.
Posted Image

Yea I think that might have something to do with it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Everything disassembled and laid out.
Ordered up the wiesco crank kit, and I am also going to be replacing all the trans bearings and such while its open.

• sikmajik

Posted December 17, 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hows the clutch basket look?

• PAKDXYZ

Posted December 17, 2009 - 11:51 AM

clutch basket looks fine. Everything else looked great in there except for that bearing. Now if I could only figure out what happened to that piece of bearing????

• sikmajik

Posted December 17, 2009 - 11:55 AM

clutch basket looks fine. Everything else looked great in there except for that bearing. Now if I could only figure out what happened to that piece of bearing????

lol, make sure you douche it out good if for some reason you dont replace all the tranny bearings...maybe it came out in the oil. Good news about the basket, they're expensive.

• PAKDXYZ

Posted December 17, 2009 - 01:12 PM

yea I am going to replace all the bearings and clean everything up good. Yea I know those baskets are expensive I had to replace one on my yz250 not too long ago.

• blackie107

Posted December 17, 2009 - 02:21 PM

What type of premix do you use?

• PAKDXYZ

Posted December 17, 2009 - 02:36 PM

What type of premix do you use?

Amsoil @32:1

• blackie107

Posted December 17, 2009 - 03:03 PM

I seized my o3 kx250 by mixing two different types of premix. I was mixing 5 gal of gas using super M and ran short, so I used yamalube to make up the difference. The bike came to a screeching halt on the 4th lap. I rocked it back and forward to break it loose. I drained all the gas and started over with fresh gas and one type of oil and it ran fine the rest of the day. Did a top end shortly after though.

• PAKDXYZ

Posted December 17, 2009 - 03:23 PM

Yea I have always just used amsoil. I am really not sure what could have caused this bearing failure. The crank assembly and main bearings and seals are hot rods so I assume they were all done at the same time, yet the other main bearing seems to be in perfect shape. Oh well at least I know what it is and it could have done alot more damage that it did so I should be thankful

• blackie107

Posted December 18, 2009 - 05:05 AM

'I am really not sure what could have caused this bearing failure."

Sometimes parts will fail well before their full life expectancy due to quality control or a number of other possibilities.
I still have a 95 kx250 that is in storage now for about 10 years or so. Bought it in 1995, it was stolen 2 weeks later, was found in New Hampshire two and a half years later, drove 7 hours to recover bike, fixed her up and raced the hell out of it till I bought my 2000 kx250. Been meaning to break it out for old times sake. You didn't need to know this but I thought I would share my experience.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Need 250 crank for 00! by raber510

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   Kawasaki 2-Stroke
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Help me locate an oil leak! kx250 by bbb222

• Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Am I expecting too much? 2002 KX250 by condor74

• Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

start up after restoration by NzJohny

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Bad Ass Kx125 Build by Bh297

• Hot  63 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.