New 2007 yzf450

8 replies to this topic
  • RideAgainstTheMachine

Posted October 24, 2009 - 05:41 PM

Hey guys just picked up a "like new" 2007 yz450f roughly 35hrs I read through the sticky, Just wondering what mods you guy recommend to do, and any other comment or advice. I can search the mods just curious as to which ones to do. As well as top end / valve maintenance recommendations. new to the whole 450 scence I had a DRZ400 and a rm250

Thanks for the help/advice

• yz_for_me

Posted October 25, 2009 - 08:14 AM

Hey, welcome to the forum! What kind of riding will you be doing with your '07?

There are some mods worth looking at no matter what kind of riding you do. I'd invest in a good stainless oil filter such as a Scott's. There is also a oil filter drain hole mod that prevents your oil filter bolt from stripping out. Here's the thread http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

• FinchFan194

Posted October 25, 2009 - 08:19 AM

Repack ALL of your bearings on the bike too.

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted October 25, 2009 - 10:33 AM

Check your valves now, and see whether they need to be adjusted. This may or may not be likely.

Other than that, keep fresh air and oil filters in the bike, use a good quality oil (I'm partial to Bel-Ray's Thumper oil), use good gasoline, and ride the snot out of it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RideAgainstTheMachine

Posted October 25, 2009 - 11:00 AM

Ill be riding trails and track, nothing competitive, Thanks for the info guys ill get on those updates right away.

• pat caudill

Posted October 30, 2009 - 04:38 PM

Congrats on the new bike..I also bought one of these in almost new condition beginning summer of 08'. They're an awesome bike. The more you ride it, the better it'll work. So far, i've geared my down 2T on rear sprocket. Mostly, I've tried to be religious about just maintained to stock specs (jetting, valve adjustments, chain slack) ..Perhaps the most important thing you can do (and get actual results) is, to corrrectly set the rear sag... I also ride mine mostly single-track with no actual racing... Fuel mileage is also great! I'm really considering going with a steeper triple-clamp set -up to improve the steering..Yes, they just don't inspire sharp cornering. On this topic, order up a set of Dr.D's radiator lowering mounts. Second-best bang for the buck. Hope I didn't get too off-track with these suggestions.. Am planning on keeping mine for another year...Best bike i've owned since my 78' YZ 250 (that I bought new). Pat

• psmith85

Posted October 30, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Change the fork oil and get the shock serviced so you have a good base line for setting up the suspension for you. Get a good front tire, then ride, ride, ride, so you have a good feel for setting up the suspension.

• RideAgainstTheMachine

Posted October 31, 2009 - 07:36 AM

Ordered engine ice, scotts mesh filter, still have to service the suspension, and order dr d rad lowering kit. Pat Let me know how you make out with the steeper clamps if you get them, she definately doesn't turn like the ol' RM

• AZcrRider

Posted October 31, 2009 - 06:57 PM

Ordered engine ice, scotts mesh filter, still have to service the suspension, and order dr d rad lowering kit. Pat Let me know how you make out with the steeper clamps if you get them, she definately doesn't turn like the ol' RM

The stock suspensions setting are real close for MX applications. I think I added 10 ccs of fork oil when I had mine. ( above stock).

Running the sag at 95-97 mm ( as long as the static sag is still between 15 and 25 mm) can help the steering, especially when you drop the forks 5 mm ( below the line ).

Keep an eye on the frame on the left weld / down tube just behind steering stem - it is rare , but the 07 / 08 had problems with cold welds / hair line cracks there.

Great bike tho, enjoy.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.