Draining oil from an '06+ with the skid plate in place

13 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted October 24, 2009 - 04:34 PM

After owning an '03, with both drain plugs accessible and pointed neatly out so as not to splatter anything, I found the drain plugs on my new '06 to be somewhat annoying. Then when I put a skid plate on the bikes, things really went to hell. The lower rear crankcase drain was OK, because the hole in the plate was correctly sized and placed. But the "tank" drain on the left side was another matter. The first thing I did was bend up an elaborate little steel tray/gutter/funnel gizmo to channel the oil out to the rear edge of the plate. That sort of worked, but only sort of.

This latest solution works quite well, though. I eyeballed the location for a 1" hole in the skid plate, removed the plate and used a 1" hole saw to bore the hole. Then I cut a small sheet of light gauge stainless from some stuff laying around and rolled it into a 3/4 round semi-tubular shape. The engine end is cut at a 45 degree angle so it will reach under the drain bolt. This I insert through the hole when draining oil, and I use a 12mm swivel socket to loosen the plug.

I leave the dip stick in place at first to slow the flow of oil through the drain, then remove it to let it finish up. Works very well.

Posted Image

• 426 NOOB

Posted October 24, 2009 - 07:32 PM

very nice mod gray, im sure it will really come in handy to 06 and up owners.:bonk:

• FinchFan194

Posted October 24, 2009 - 07:43 PM

I am on it I think I have some sheet metal laying around that will do the trick. Thanks Gray!

• Kent Rathgeber

Posted October 25, 2009 - 10:35 AM

Good idea!!:bonk:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 27, 2009 - 06:36 AM

I just pull my skid plate off. :bonk:

• Wiz636

Posted October 29, 2009 - 08:04 AM

Must be nice to live where it's dry. I pull my skidplate for oil changes just to clean all the mud out of there.

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2009 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, mud happens here just often enough that we can remember what it looks like.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted October 29, 2009 - 08:43 AM

hmm Grey looks like another business venture idea towards your retirement :smirk:

• grayracer513

Posted October 29, 2009 - 09:22 AM

hmm Grey looks like another business venture idea towards your retirement :smirk:

If you mean the "tube", I could sell that for $19.95 with instructions, or $39.95 with a hole saw included, and then some knucklehead would smash his fingers while cutting the hole and sue me.

If you mean selling mud in California, you can make your own in the back yard with a hose.

• Ga426owner

Posted October 29, 2009 - 11:29 AM

If you mean the "tube", I could sell that for $19.95 with instructions, or $39.95 with a hole saw included, and then some knucklehead would smash his fingers while cutting the hole and sue me.

If you mean selling mud in California, you can make your own in the back yard with a hose.

Hey now, you come up with some great stuff....get a good lawyer :lol:
Here is your Co name, free from me... GRRP GreyRacerRacing Products :smirk:
Sell a bunch and retire to that expensive island to the West and don't forget about that redneck in Ga that told you so :ride:

• Wiz636

Posted October 29, 2009 - 11:48 AM

GRRP GreyRacerRacing Products

I want a support contract...to which address do I send my rider resume? :smirk:

• jayh300

Posted October 29, 2009 - 12:10 PM

I want a support contract...to which address do I send my rider resume? :ride:

he has seen my rider resume... I just want a t shirt.....

G R R P Race Team :smirk:

• cowboyona426

Posted October 29, 2009 - 12:19 PM

Must be nice to live where it's dry. I pull my skidplate for oil changes just to clean all the mud out of there.

I'm with you on this one, it's nice to get rid of all that crud riding around in there.

• husqy360

Posted October 29, 2009 - 12:21 PM

the new scorpion racing heavy duty skid plates suppose to come with an extra hole for draining the oil without taking the skid plate off.

when i got mine i been told that i will not need to take it off to drain the oil, but there was only 1 hole(was the first batch:banghead:). i whould still check it twice.
and for the mud lovers: when you buy this skid plate you get "[COLOR=#008080]FOAM TAPE TO PUT BETWEEN THE FRAME AND SKID PLATE FOR A NICE SNUG VIBRATION FREE FIT[/COLOR][COLOR=#008080] OPEN CELL FOAM TO PUT BETWEEN THE SKID PLATE AND ENGINE CASE TO ELIMINATE THE BUILD UP OF DIRT AND MUD". [/COLOR]

and im sure you can get this foam for any plate.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.