DR 650 fork swap with 05-07 RMZ 450 forks

22 replies to this topic
  • stangmaster

Posted October 24, 2009 - 08:50 AM

This is my first post so bare with me. Ive got a 2009 DR650 that i think is a great bike on the road and an ok bike off the road. I spooned on some D606's and it got better, then i quickly realized that the front fork straight up blows. I looked into the fix kits with springs and such but decided i wanted to go the USD fork route. I read other ppls posts using ktm WP forks and the likes. I also saw a drz400 fork swap but thought it was alot of work for a slightly bigger but still not stellar conventional fork. I pulled the trigger last night on a 2005 RMZ450 complete triple clamp with bars stem and bearings. I got an OEM front axle and a set of 06 RMZ 450 forks. I havent bought a front wheel yet in hopes of Either cutting down the RMZ axle or fiding bearings that fit in my DR's hub. My question is this. does anyone know the head tube bearing sizes for both the DR and the RMZ. from the looks of it i'll be using me DR's outer races and a hybrid bearing to fit the RMz stem. I also gave slight thought to machining down the rmz's stem to acept the dr's bearings. What does the forum think? any comments are appreciated.

• Spannermad

Posted October 24, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Hi, I had the same sort of issues when I swaped a KX front end on to the DR . Check the stem size where it is pressed into the bottom clamp, and if it is the same size press the RMZ stem out and the DR one in. Then you can use standard DR bearings.
This also fixed the problem I had with the stems being different lengths.
Good luck with the swap, It may be a bit of work, but it is worth it. You will probably want to do a shock overhaul at the same time as the back will seem to be 10 times worse than the front after the swap over. DRZ400SM headlight brackets will make the head light remounting a lot easier, they are the same type as the DR, but have the larger holes to mount on the USD forks.

• bergman501

Posted October 24, 2009 - 09:49 AM

don't know about the stem being the same length, but they use the same stem bearings as the DR 30x52x16. i have 2000 rm showa forks on mine and the RM stem fit ok. good luck

• LukasM

Posted October 24, 2009 - 10:31 AM

It's a DR, I would leave it stock.

:bonk:

• caymanwent

Posted October 24, 2009 - 12:25 PM

It's a DR, I would leave it stock.

:bonk:

Like yours?? :bonk::bonk:

• stangmaster

Posted October 24, 2009 - 03:14 PM

if i wanted to leave it all stock i would have bought a KTM 450 like my buddies all did for 9 grand! Since i want something unique, and i like to take ppl by suprise on my heavy old tech oil cooled DR im going to continue on my way lol. Either way im going to tear into this hotrod tommorow and get her mounted up. Anyone got an idea as to wear i can get a 290mm caliper spacer for a RMZ? im almost positive my DR caliper will fit i measured the bolt spacing roughly. the RMZ's rotor is just smaller.

• caymanwent

Posted October 24, 2009 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, stangmaster...I think LucasM was kinda kidding about leaving it stock...if you look at his garage you will see all the mods he has done to his...hence my previous comment...

• bergman501

Posted October 25, 2009 - 08:08 AM

i thought the same way as you--cheap bike--do some mods--different!! the $$$ i have in the dr i could have bought a husky--ktm--Beta (street legal) and would have been more fun off road. (not much of a street rider) sure was fun doing all the mods through. anybody have a plated dirt bike that doesn't ride a
lot of dirt, and want more of a D/S--Trade? back to your mods--you might do a rear shock swap too. DRZ400E will fit with some linkage mods. have fun doing them, and enjoy your DR.:bonk:

• stangmaster

Posted October 27, 2009 - 01:27 PM

turns out the DR stem will press into the RMZ triples making this a pretty simple swap. the added width of the tripples makes the brackets for the front plate/headlamp not work very well so i'll have to mod them alittle. as for the wheel im still working on it. A DRZ shock is in the works as well but one thing at a time

• Spannermad

Posted October 27, 2009 - 07:27 PM

turns out the DR stem will press into the RMZ triples making this a pretty simple swap. the added width of the tripples makes the brackets for the front plate/headlamp not work very well so i'll have to mod them alittle. as for the wheel im still working on it. A DRZ shock is in the works as well but one thing at a time

Check out a DRZ400SM (USD forks). The headlight mounting brackets should fit on to the RMZ forks, I was going to use them for my fork swap but they were NZ$170.00 each and 3 weeks EX japan :bonk:. They slide over the outer tube between the tripple clamps, could save you a heap of time and many headaches :bonk:.

Edited by Spannermad, October 27, 2009 - 07:30 PM.
can`t spell 4 crapp

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stangmaster

Posted January 30, 2010 - 05:44 AM

Been a long time since i updated, but i got most of it together at this point. Im just wondering now if i use a rmz front wheel the dr front caliper should bolt onto the rmz front forks no problem right? it looks like it will i just dont know about the unforscene.

• Zylian

Posted July 23, 2011 - 12:38 AM

Been a long time since i updated, but i got most of it together at this point. Im just wondering now if i use a rmz front wheel the dr front caliper should bolt onto the rmz front forks no problem right? it looks like it will i just dont know about the unforscene.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm thinking of going down the same route as you. How hard was it to put it all together? How much stuff did you have to machine/modify?
Does anyone know of any USD cartridge forks that will slot into the DR650's stock upper triple clamp? I don't mind if I have to use a different lower fork clamp and modify the steering stem.

• -Jake-

Posted July 23, 2011 - 04:13 AM

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm thinking of going down the same route as you. How hard was it to put it all together? How much stuff did you have to machine/modify?
Does anyone know of any USD cartridge forks that will slot into the DR650's stock upper triple clamp? I don't mind if I have to use a different lower fork clamp and modify the steering stem.

I used USD forks from an 01 RM250. All I needed were the forks, triple clamps, and front wheel and brake rotor. The DR caliper bolts right up to the RM forks. The DR and the RM use the same size of steering stem bearings. Super easy swap. Did it in an afternoon. No machining or modifying required.

Posted Image

• ccman60

Posted July 23, 2011 - 04:55 AM

I used USD forks from an 01 RM250. All I needed were the forks, triple clamps, and front wheel and brake rotor. The DR caliper bolts right up to the RM forks. The DR and the RM use the same size of steering stem bearings. Super easy swap. Did it in an afternoon. No machining or modifying required.

Posted Image

Thanks for the post. This is on my list of things to do. :smirk:

• Zylian

Posted July 24, 2011 - 07:08 AM

Posted Image

Nice, did you also change out the springs or do you find them just fine?

• -Jake-

Posted July 24, 2011 - 07:22 AM

Nice, did you also change out the springs or do you find them just fine?

I honestly haven't had a chance to ride it hard enough. The springs are stock for now. It felt much stiffer than the stock DR's. I did it right before I moved to Texas for a summer internship. The stock RM brake rotor was warped and way too small. But I have a 280mm rotor to put on when I get home in about 3 weeks, also going to motard it. :smirk:

• Zylian

Posted July 25, 2011 - 12:44 AM

let us know how you go with the motard conversion, I am thinking of just saving up and getting a front motard wheel for made an RM250 and a back motard wheel for the DR650.
or I might go with KTM suspension. not sure.
check out this guy's dr650 on drriders. it is wonderful.
http://drriders.com/topic351.html

• ccman60

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:12 AM

I love the idea of the "Bolt On " set up. Plus all Suzuki.:smirk:

• -Jake-

Posted July 25, 2011 - 12:39 PM

I ordered a warp 9 wheel and spokes for the front and a pilot power for the front. They were very quick to answer my questions and shipping was quick as well. I will be back in Missouri in 3 weeks and I am going to have to learn how to lace a wheel. I will order a Warp 9 rim for the rear as well when I get some more money to spend on the DR.

• jcstrat

Posted July 25, 2011 - 03:47 PM

Were the forks from RM or RMZ?

Edit: Nevermind. Same part numbers on both.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.