08 WR450F noise in engine

17 replies to this topic
  • HEELER

Posted October 23, 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hey guys. Iv got a slight problem and im wondering if someone could shed some light on the matter. first of all is i own a 08 wrf450 and its only done 2500 ks and has never had anything done too the motor apart from its general oil changes and such. I have of late been hearing a tingy sound come from the motor when i give it a fist full but i cant quit pick where the noise is comin from. When im sittin still there is no noise it is when im in gear and ridin. Is this noise my cam chain slaping or is it something much worse im worried about riding it

• William1

Posted October 24, 2009 - 04:54 AM

If the noise occurs when you are in gear, moving with the engine at low rpm and you nail the gas, it is probably piston slap though it could also be the drive chain whipping.

• HEELER

Posted October 25, 2009 - 08:09 PM

I Don't think it is either of them i check my chain on every ride when i oil it and its too young too be piston slap. Could it be a valve

• Wrfrk

Posted October 26, 2009 - 05:42 AM

I'm assuming you've checked you valve clearance? Does the bike feel like it's loosing any power when this noise comes on? Are you burning/loosing any oil? When you shift gears is it still smooth or operating as normal?
Off the bat my first thought was/is maybe the decomp lever on the exhaust cam, but I think you would notice a power loss is something is awry with that.

• HEELER

Posted October 26, 2009 - 05:49 PM

Yeah everything is normal and operating as normal and it's not using any oil or lost any power. No i haven't checked my clearance im going too do that today' Would i get that sound if one of my valve lifters was out a bit that's what i think it may be

• Wrfrk

Posted October 26, 2009 - 07:19 PM

Yeah everything is normal and operating as normal and it's not using any oil or lost any power. No i haven't checked my clearance im going too do that today' Would i get that sound if one of my valve lifters was out a bit that's what i think it may be

Yes you can get lifter noise if they are out, but they would have to be out by a fair amount. Another option might be your cam chain tensioner failing. If that is the case the chain would be slapping and that would cause a lot of noise.

• HEELER

Posted October 26, 2009 - 08:23 PM

Thanks i thought the same thing and something would have too very badly wrong for them too be out that much. Im goin to check both anyway. Is there a manual tensioner for the wr i have looked but cant seem too find one. Also the noise seems to be coming from the right of the motor thats why i thought of valve but it's very hard too tell with all the other noise going on around me and my tank blocks it a bit

• tribalbc

Posted October 27, 2009 - 07:31 AM

Your lifter on this motor is simply a bucket over the valve spring/valve. I really can't see any noise coming from here or you have a problem with one. Since this bike has dual overhead cams there are no rocker arms or the like to be making noise up top. The cams press directly on the buckets.
As far as noise on the top end I would think it would either be the cam chain/cams or piston slap.
It is an automatic chain tensioner on the cam chain.
Pull of your valve cover- lot's of fun :bonk: - and have a look in there.
If you don't have a manual there's one in the stickies at the top of this forum.

I've got a couple heelers myself, great dogs.

Edited by tribalbc, October 27, 2009 - 07:33 AM.
add

• HEELER

Posted October 28, 2009 - 12:32 AM

Yeah i checked my manual and seen how the lifters sit. So all in all it's time too go in and take a look so i might aswell rip the motor out and do my mods at the same time instead of fighting my way around the bike. Is their a manual tensioner for the wrf or should i stay with the auto. Yeah heelers are a great dog very loyal and are great for unwanted visitors. Cheer's:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wondermuscle

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:05 AM

How old is the gas and what size main jet are you running?

• tribalbc

Posted October 28, 2009 - 07:24 AM

Yeah i checked my manual and seen how the lifters sit. So all in all it's time too go in and take a look so i might aswell rip the motor out and do my mods at the same time instead of fighting my way around the bike. Is their a manual tensioner for the wrf or should i stay with the auto. Yeah heelers are a great dog very loyal and are great for unwanted visitors. Cheer's:thumbsup:

Yeah dropping the motor isn't really too bad and it sure makes it easier working on the motor. It comes out easier if you remove the cylinder intake boot, but I managed to squeeze mine out with it in.
I'm not really sure if there's a manual tensioner available but the stock one seems to have limited failures. Mine was fine and it does a good job of keeping the chain tight. It has a one way ratcheting system so once it tightens a step it can't go back, spring tension won't effect it.
It's easy to test when it's out.

My heelers are in charge of bear control on my property. They keep them in check :bonk:

• CORider63

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:06 AM

Are you sure you're not hearing engine "ping" from detonation of the fuel? (Octane too low, too lean, etc.)

• diegox450

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:11 AM

It sounds like chain slap (transmission chain)

• CORider63

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:18 AM

The 07 and newer WR-450s are notorious for the drive chain slapping the inside of the rear subframe if they are even SLIGHTLY loose. I'd check the inside of the subframe for any evidence that it's been rubbing.

• wondermuscle

Posted October 28, 2009 - 08:34 AM

Are you sure you're not hearing engine "ping" from detonation of the fuel? (Octane too low, too lean, etc.)

Thats what I was getting at.... You should have at least a 165 main. If the gas has been sititng in the tank for a few months that could be the issue causing a ping.

• R_Little

Posted October 30, 2009 - 07:21 AM

These bike have chain slap like crazy.

if it does not happen in neutral I'd bet the chain.

These are reliable but rather noisy motors.

• CORider63

Posted October 30, 2009 - 07:46 AM

I'm not sure what your problem is. The engine on my '07 WR-450 only makes strange noises anytime it's running.

:smirk:

• diegox450

Posted October 30, 2009 - 04:14 PM

I'm not sure what your problem is. The engine on my '07 WR-450 only makes strange noises anytime it's running.

:smirk:

Mine too... very noisy engines, but never a problem!! :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.