can i use k&n air filter oil from an auto patrs store?

11 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 23, 2009 - 06:10 AM

i have a twin air filter for my 426 but i need filter oil. can i buy filter oil at an auto parts store? i thiink i saw k/n air filter oil there? thanks:ride:

• PBDBLUE

Posted October 23, 2009 - 06:15 AM

K&N is gauze filter oil. Not very suitable for a foam filter IMO.

• aakmetz

Posted October 23, 2009 - 06:17 AM

you'll get flack on this one from alot of posters, but thats all i use on my filters, the cleaner works good too. no piston damage to mine from dirt, using the KN stuff. been doing it for years.

• YZEtc

Posted October 23, 2009 - 08:54 PM

Flack incoming. :bonk:

Foam filter oil is much better because it's sticky and stays put on a foam air filter without puddling-up at the bottom of the filter via gravity.
Maxima FFT is the best.

• byggd

Posted October 25, 2009 - 04:59 AM

You're better off using Uni filter oil. I use it and their cleaner. Good stuff! Just my .02 cents.

• Curios

Posted October 25, 2009 - 05:06 AM

you'll get flack on this one from alot of posters, but thats all i use on my filters, the cleaner works good too. no piston damage to mine from dirt, using the KN stuff. been doing it for years.

isnt that much more expensive? And much thinner compound. Im sure it will work but some people leave their air filter un touched for many rides. I would not do this with the wrong oil. if you clean your filter after every ride you could probably use vegetable oil.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aakmetz

Posted October 25, 2009 - 06:35 AM

isnt that much more expensive? And much thinner compound. Im sure it will work but some people leave their air filter un touched for many rides. I would not do this with the wrong oil. if you clean your filter after every ride you could probably use vegetable oil.

before all the designer oils, almost anything was put on foam filters, air filter maintance should be done according to your riding conditions, dry and dusty, do it more, actually price is comparable to other oils and cleaners, i found a large size oil and cleaner, for under 25.00 and it lasts me awhile, in my case, my cars have KN filters so its another reason i use it. one oil and cleaner for all of them. works for me:thumbsup:......if you ride in severe dusty conditions alot, one of the sticky oils might be better:excuseme: for the op, i'm just saying it'll work, if its all there is.

• Curios

Posted October 27, 2009 - 04:30 AM

When recently brought my bike home i didnt have chain lube. I used K&n filter oil. It didnt work that great but i assume it was better than nothing.

• Chas_M

Posted October 27, 2009 - 05:09 AM

When recently brought my bike home i didnt have chain lube. I used K&n filter oil. It didnt work that great but i assume it was better than nothing.

On the chain it's better than nothing, however on a foam filter it's not much better than nothing.

• aakmetz

Posted October 27, 2009 - 05:39 AM

soothes dry chapped skin, squeaky door hinges, sex lube, and stir fry too, if its all you have:moon: I just commented to the OP from experience that it works. Now all the people thinking in their boxes come out of them, amazing:lol:........carefull its not safe outside the box:thumbsup:

• changaz

Posted October 28, 2009 - 02:06 AM

finer filter oil or uni filter oil is the go. not k&n oil.
easy way to clean ur filter is with turps, then rinse with a bit of dish liquid and hot water, dry thoroughly then re oil.
i got filter oil from supercheap, fuchs brand, works sweet.

• Curios

Posted October 29, 2009 - 05:09 AM

soothes dry chapped skin, squeaky door hinges, sex lube, and stir fry too, if its all you have:moon: I just commented to the OP from experience that it works. Now all the people thinking in their boxes come out of them, amazing:lol:........carefull its not safe outside the box:thumbsup:

LOl the best sex lube is just spit on the vagina.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.