how to bleed forks?????

11 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:39 PM

when you bleed the forks of air should you have a bike on a stand or do you just leave the wieght of the bike on the front wheel. i searched this and read some people leave it off the stand and others leave it on the ground? never done it before, are the bleed screws the ones on the tops of each fork? thanks:thumbsup:

• sacfelix

Posted October 22, 2009 - 09:00 PM

After a long moto I usually release the pressure on the stand with the quick bleeders. When I'm racing a hare scramble I just release them when I happen to make a strategic dismount.lol The bleed screws are on the top of the forks just off to the side. The compression adjuster is in the middle of the fork cap as well.

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2009 - 09:45 PM

The compression adjuster is in the middle of the fork cap as well.

Not on a 426 it isn't. On all '04 and earlier YZ/YZF models, and all WR's, the adjuster on the fork cap is rebound. The compression adjuster is on the bottom of the fork leg, originally under a rubber plug.

The pressure should always be vented (this is NOT a bleeding process, BTW, nor is one required) with the bike on the stand, or the forks otherwise fully extended. If the fork is vented while partly compressed, they will have a slight vacuum in them when they extend, which can encourage dirt to be drawn into the seals.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 23, 2009 - 12:59 PM

Shouldn't they also be cooled down Gray? As in do it before you ride not after a 20 min moto in 90 degree heat??

• furls013

Posted October 23, 2009 - 01:21 PM

How often do you bleed? I have a DRZ and usually bleed maybe... right before a long ride..

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2009 - 01:51 PM

Shouldn't they also be cooled down Gray? As in do it before you ride not after a 20 min moto in 90 degree heat??

It depends. For the most part though, yes, just before a ride is always a good idea, whether or not you vent them while they're hot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 23, 2009 - 07:46 PM

is it a problem if one fork had more air in it than the other? i think i read something about some one having this problem and they had a cracked piston in the fork? how much does it cost to replace or fix a cracked piston? my forks seem to be working fine?

• grayracer513

Posted October 23, 2009 - 08:27 PM

is it a problem if one fork had more air in it than the other? i think i read something about some one having this problem and they had a cracked piston in the fork? how much does it cost to replace or fix a cracked piston? my forks seem to be working fine?

No, and you don't have a cracked piston.

• sacfelix

Posted October 23, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Not on a 426 it isn't. On all '04 and earlier YZ/YZF models, and all WR's, the adjuster on the fork cap is rebound. The compression adjuster is on the bottom of the fork leg, originally under a rubber plug.

The pressure should always be vented (this is NOT a bleeding process, BTW, nor is one required) with the bike on the stand, or the forks otherwise fully extended. If the fork is vented while partly compressed, they will have a slight vacuum in them when they extend, which can encourage dirt to be drawn into the seals.

I totally spaced out when I replied to this.:bonk: Please excuse my faulty information.:bonk:

• zaffa86

Posted October 26, 2009 - 12:58 AM

So the idea is the just put it on a stand and let all the air out? Or only a certain amount of air?

• sacfelix

Posted October 26, 2009 - 02:11 PM

I bleed all the air out.

• phart2005

Posted October 26, 2009 - 03:45 PM

You just want to let the pressure off of the seals so that the oil isnt forced out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.