Roll starting 426 using compression release

1 reply to this topic
  • Tazeman

Posted July 14, 2000 - 12:30 PM

On my last ride a guy riding a XR400 showed me how to use the compression release to roll start my 426 when on a decline of some sorts. Basically, you pull the compression and clutch levers in at the same time and with the bike in gear and rolling forward (doesn't have to be very fast) release the clutch lever slightly ahead of the compression lever... being very quick to fully release the compression lever once the engine turns over. After one try, I was a believer and have gotten very good at it. However, I'm having second thoughts about this new found solution for a short legged rider. Something this easy seems problem prong. Anyone with experience using this technique? Am I just asking for trouble?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted July 14, 2000 - 01:01 PM

Yes, I managed to figure this one out all by myself when I first bought my 426 because I couldn't start the damn thing (operator error) and so resorted to a big hill. But I soon discovered that bump starting didn't work unless you used the release, otherwise the motor don't budge and the tire just drags.

I splurged for the GYT-R (hi-perf. product line from Yamaha) thumb actuated compression release and it makes the technique you describe even easier. When play riding I'll often pick high spots to stop and rest so I don't have to kick.

But you don't have to hold the release in, I just thumb it lightly to get things spinning initially, then I build some speed and drop the clutch. Holding the release in at higher rpms (running or not) is probably bad.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.