how often do i need to replace the timming chain?

3 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 22, 2009 - 04:49 PM

i have an 01 wr426f and i bought a new timming chain for it but havent installed it yet. im planning on going riddind this weekend and im scared i could possibly blow up my engine if i dont replace it. i bought an 02 yz426f in the summer and the timming chain skipped and it broke a valve and ruined the head.:bonk: i heard every 40 or 50 hrs oh ride time. the 02 yz426f i had was bought new in 05 so it was only ridden for 4 years. how often should i replace it? how long does it take to replace?

• matt4x4

Posted October 23, 2009 - 04:43 AM

you can probably go 100 hours safely, I do mine every time I do rings or piston/rings which is around 80 hours. 40 hours is relatively low IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racerx_217

Posted October 23, 2009 - 07:58 PM

yamaha says on a 09 yz450 20 hours

• trailscout

Posted October 24, 2009 - 02:02 PM

klx250/300 manual gives a 20 link standard length of 127.0-127.4 mm and a replacement spec of 128.9 mm.

i measure ten links on top since that can be done without removing anything but the cover.

the chain "looks" the same on my wr but i haven't checked yet or found a spec.

i have read else where that high revs wear the timing chain faster so i'm not sure mileage or hours are a good measure to go by.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.