'03 WR450f fork question...same as 250f??

3 replies to this topic
  • emag

Posted October 22, 2009 - 02:12 PM

I recently picked up an '03 WR450 that is in pretty condition except for a leaky fork seal. My mechanic says the fork is lower is too pitted from rust to allow a good seal, and a used fork tube may be the way to go.

So....I've been looking around for a set of good used forks, and I found some that are from a WR250f of the same year. Will these bolt right on? I checked the online parts finder and they are different part numbers, but both are supposedly 46mm Kayaba. I have heard the only real difference is that the 250 is sprung slightly softer, which is a definite downer for my 200lb frame. Are there any other real differences?

Any help will be appreciated!

• YamaLink

Posted October 22, 2009 - 02:17 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but other than a slightly diff spring rate - as you stated - the forks are identical. I just reread the 2003 new model release as a refresher, and that's what I came away with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • emag

Posted October 22, 2009 - 03:14 PM

Ahh...that's the answer I was hoping for. Thank you for the quick reply.
So then, would a YZ450f fork also be basically the same as the WR's, with the exception of slightly stiffer settings?
I guess if I was shopping for a used one, the stiffest one would be the best one for me.
Thanks!

• tcmII

Posted October 22, 2009 - 04:08 PM

I don't know if the 250 to 450 are the same or not, but if they are as stated above with the exception of spring rate, you can swap out the springs from you old fork(s) to the new one. It's a pretty easy event and you'll have the forks off anyway.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.