Oil filter cover bolt

4 replies to this topic
  • macsfamily

Posted October 22, 2009 - 10:50 AM

Does any one know which size Time-Sert to get for the allen head bolt? Could not locate in search and not near the bike.

Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2009 - 10:59 AM

M6x1.0. The length should equal the threaded portion of the bolt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • macsfamily

Posted October 22, 2009 - 11:04 AM

Thanks so much! Appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share.

• Eric908

Posted October 22, 2009 - 11:09 AM

Before my bolt totally stripped out, I installed a threaded stud in the hole. It seems to work well. I simply have a nut which requires a 10mm socket to remove the cover. By not screwing and unscrewing the fastener, the threads should last a long time.

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2009 - 01:24 PM

Before my bolt totally stripped out, I installed a threaded stud in the hole. It seems to work well. I simply have a nut which requires a 10mm socket to remove the cover. By not screwing and unscrewing the fastener, the threads should last a long time.

That can be a cure, but not for the reason you believe, exactly. Yamaha cross drilled a hole from the oil filter well into that screw hole, with the poorly conceived idea of using it to drain the filter well without removing the cover. The problem is less that the threads are used repeatedly than it is that metal debris collects in the cross drilled hole and sits on the threads of the lower bolt, waiting to chew it up when it's unscrewed. Note that this usually only happens to that one bolt out of the three.

Your fix avoids the problem by never moving the threads, and thus never grinding metal into them, and in that sense, would work fine. But it does not index the cover as the shoulder on the original bolt does. That's why I approached the problem this way:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=634724

It should also be noted that once a thread insert is in place, as long as it's long enough to block the drain hole, the problem will be solved anyway. Even more important is that if the insert is too short, there will be a loss of oil pressure.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.