Small Jump Technique

12 replies to this topic
  • racemile

Posted April 21, 2003 - 08:29 AM

The "fatboy" rear spring is installed and helps tremendously!!

Now, when taking the small jumps/bumps....those that are less than a bike length...I always get the backend kicked up. I probably don't have my weight far enough back, but, I am concerned about the front wheel looping out on me.

What am I missing on this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Racemile :) :D

• ThumperWR450F

Posted April 21, 2003 - 10:12 AM

first off stand up with knees slightly bent and weight towards the back. give it gas till your front tire is almost off the jump/bump than STOP giving it gas!!giving it gas all the way through the jump will cause the bike to throw the front end down and kick the back end up.this might not be the best advice or the correct advise but it's what works for me. hope it helps

• foursmoke

Posted April 21, 2003 - 10:23 AM

giving it gas all the way through the jump will cause the bike to throw the front end down and kick the back end up.this

I believe if you tap the rear brake in the air, that will drop the front end down. If you gas it thru the jump your front end will come up and may cause you to loop out on landing.

Posted April 21, 2003 - 10:48 AM

Try a little more rebound damping on the rear also.
That stiffer spring might be causing it to kick but then what do I know, it's just a guess!

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 21, 2003 - 10:53 AM

...I always get the backend kicked up

I think these two guys w/ their advice were answering the wrong question.

When the jumps are short and steep, the back end will tend to "kick", the reason being the forks compress taking the impact of the jump face. Your bike has just shifted it's momentum from moving forward to now moving forward w/ a nose down attitude.

I think if you keep the power on HARD just as you start on the face of the jump, and (maybe) shift your weight back to lighten the forks, you can get your bike straightend out.

It's tough to practice some of this stuff because a bad move can cost you 2-3 months in a cast.

If possible, start w/ a less brutal kicker jump.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 21, 2003 - 11:02 AM

I am with NH Kevin and Mad Potter. You probably dont have enough rebound dampening and need to stay on the gas to keep the front end up. I was having similar problems until I adjusted my rebound dampening several months ago. Now I skim over whoops perfectly. Small bumps dont kick my rear end forward anymore. Experiment and see what works for you. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumperWR450F

Posted April 21, 2003 - 11:15 AM

i was not wrong go. out and hit a small jump and never let go of the gas.the back tire is gonna keep producing power and it will kick the back end up. i used do make that mistake when i was younger.

• Serpexc

Posted April 21, 2003 - 11:27 AM

Staying on the gas will bring the front up, not the back, chopping the throttle early will drop the front or kick up the back, I've landed on my head enough times to know. :)

Posted April 21, 2003 - 01:10 PM

My theory is this...I friggin gas it everywhere. Maybe a little, maybe a lot depending on the situation. If your back end kicks out so what..if your onit it should straighten back out. Honestly im not being a hot shot. If your rear wheel starts to pass you on the right...your screwed anyway. These Strokers handle funny most of the time time you let off the gas. Lots of engine braking/ weight and so forth weighting the front end. I really ride better if I stay on the gas all the time. Off a BIG jump Ill cutt the gas about a foot or so after takeoff and brake. Then its gas and brake to keep ya level. Take it for what its worth. :)

Oh and yes I vote for the setting of your rebound has dramatic affect on the way your rear end follows the front.

• Lon13

Posted April 22, 2003 - 09:21 AM

For low jumps(bumps), if I'm going slow and I need to clear an obstacle on the other side of the jump, I seat bump the bike, give it a shot of gas then chop the throttle in the air to get the front end coming down, grip the bike with my legs, pull up with my legs a little and push the bike down with my arms. I started doing this as a youngster just because it was fun, and I thought it looked cool. If I need to keep the bike on the ground, and the bump isn't too tall, I wheelie into it and let momentum carry the bike over. When your back tire hits the bump it will bring your front end down. You have to be standing, and be back. You will take some of the bump with your legs so be careful not to be so far back that you get hit in the butt by you rear fender. It helps to have you clickers set up right, otherwise the rear will just kick up and boot ya. Make sure your sag is set right and you might need a little more rebound damping for the heavier spring. :)

• WR_Jason

Posted April 22, 2003 - 09:53 AM

The WR dose not like it when you back off the throttle when your on the jump, the engine brake pulls the front of the bike down like its made of lead in a very fast rotation and all the throttle in the world wont bring it back up. My bike tends to nose down while flying through the air too but maybe I need to carry more throttle while in the air. I like to look at the jump, get going at mid RPM second or third gear and then you can scrub a bit of speed off with the throttle if you have to just before the jump, then give a blip of throttle to carry you off the face of the jump. If the nose starts to fall I stand back on the bike grab the seat with my thigs and grab the throttle to pull the front up, the bike seems to like to fly with a slightly nose down attitude and the front suspension is up to the task of soaking up the landing even if it is alarming until you get used to it :)

• racemile

Posted April 22, 2003 - 10:05 AM

Do you preload and then "bump" as the front tire leaves the bump or the rear? Keeping in mind that the bumps that I am talking about are all LESS than a bike length long. You can visualize them as short lonely whoops.

I think you are correct in your advice and also I think I do need to adjust the rebound, but if you can give me a clearer timing picture I would be interested.

Post 500!!....Id like to thank the academy!...

• Lon13

Posted April 22, 2003 - 10:56 AM

The "bump" is right as my suspension compresses. This will launch your bike a little higher than normal. You only need to do this if you are trying to clear something tall or just like the airtime (thats why I do it :)). The lonely whoops you describe, I use the wheelie. It depends on the size of the bump, and if I'm trying to make time. If the bump is too tall, and a wheelie will put me over the bars (larger than 18" to 2'), I try to just jump them with steady throttle and let the suspension take the hit and try to absorb as much of the impact with my arms and legs to try to keep the bike low. If you don't gas it on the jump, it may come up from the rear. I use my arms and legs to try to keep the bike level. I used to race BMX so I got used to taking most of the hit with my arms and legs to keep the bike low. These kind of bumps are probably some of the hardest obstacles to tackle. If your suspension is a little off, or, if you are not prepared for them, they can(will) toss you. When I ride, I tend to seek these out as practice/suspension testers. Usually you end up correcting while your in the air. The nice thing thing about four strokes is their compression braking, you can use it to bring the front down if you can't get to the back brake in time. these kind of bumps tend to toss you over the bars so I try to get the front end up on the launch. I usually pull up on the bars a little on take off. It seems like the key to these are to keep your front end light, and your butt from hitting the seat. Like I said, I usually seek these out for practice because at speed the last thing I want to think about is whether or not I'm going to get tossed by one.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.