Does the YZ450F oem oil filter have different type specifications?

6 replies to this topic
  • lesi88

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:34 PM

Does the YZ450F'S oem oil filter have different type specifications?

Today,i heard from a guy that the yz450f's oem oil filter have different type specifications,while the best type is for racing.
I dont know whether it is true.

thanks a lot!

Edited by lesi88, October 21, 2009 - 07:52 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:42 PM

The '98-'02 had a bronze mesh filter that provided marginal filtration. The element was changed to a paper type in '03 when the oil capacity was reduced. The part number changed in '08 for reasons I never bothered to research, but all '98-'09 filters will physically interchange.

I use a Scotts stainless mesh filter that can be cleaned and reused indefinitely.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• lesi88

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:32 PM

grayracer513,thank you for the details you provided.
Next I will also consider about the stainless mesh filter.

I want to order several oil filters for my 08 yz450f from a guy and the guy said that there are several types oem oil filter with the same dimension ,the best type is for racing,and also the best one 's price is more expensive ,about $17.

I have never heard that there is one racing oem filter for 08 yz450f.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:40 PM

I make no recommendations as to which paper filter to use.

• lesi88

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:43 PM

T

I use a Scotts stainless mesh filter that can be cleaned and reused indefinitely.

grayracer513,where can i buy the Scotts stainless mesh filter? ebay?

And where can i buy the yamaha tools (such as:cap botl ring wrench,cap bolt wrench,rotor puller and so on)for replacing the fork oil and other rebuilding?

thanks a lot!

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:39 AM

I'm not sure what's available to you in northern Europe, but Scotts filters can be bought directly from Scotts online.

As far as tools go, most motorcycle shops and online retailers offer specialty tools at much lower prices than Yamaha itself does. The flywheel rotor puller for '06 and later models is the same as used on the Honda CRF450, so it should be readily available.

• lesi88

Posted October 26, 2009 - 11:41 PM

I'm not sure what's available to you in northern Europe, but Scotts filters can be bought directly from Scotts online.

As far as tools go, most motorcycle shops and online retailers offer specialty tools at much lower prices than Yamaha itself does. The flywheel rotor puller for '06 and later models is the same as used on the Honda CRF450, so it should be readily available.

Thanks very much.
I will go to search the tools on such online motorcycle shops.
I have also decided to bought the oil filters from Scotts online,a good website for us.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.