Upgrade from '06 YZ 250F to '09 YZ 450F

10 replies to this topic
  • micahmorgan

Posted October 21, 2009 - 11:31 AM

1. Is there a way to to know what aftermarket parts will transfer from the 2006 250f to a 2009 450f? I know how to use the parts finder and Micro-fiche, but I'm interested in the add ons. Examples are JD Jet Kit, chain guide, hand guards, new brake line, sprockets, skid plate, Scott's stablizer, etc. A lot of the parts are similiar between YZs so I'm hoping for a lot of fits.

2. I've been reading the forum and thanks to the search, I already have a good idea of 450f tweaks I need. I'll start with the cheap tubes, then the crappy stock silencer, then the rear shock, then the chain slider mod. Any objections?

I made the jump from my 250f to a 450f this week. With the 2010s on their way and the dealers "no deals other than MSRP plus the additional 'normal' fees," I went with a new 2009 from out of state.

I race desert in Nevada which includes some single track, some washes, some fire roads, some tight stuff, some hills, and some wide open fields.

Thanks in advance.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 21, 2009 - 01:35 PM

What parts are you looking to transfer? For one if you have aftermarket wheels they won't fit without some modifications the axles are a different size and a rear wheel on a 250f is narrower too. If you have a TM designworks chain guide that wont fit either I believe those changed in 07. These are the problems I am having at least and the front braking system changed in 08 so an oversized front brake rotor won't work either.(the caliper mounts are different)

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2009 - 03:12 PM

1. Is there a way to to know what aftermarket parts will transfer from the 2006 250f to a 2009 450f? I know how to use the parts finder and Micro-fiche, but I'm interested in the add ons. Examples are JD Jet Kit, chain guide, hand guards, new brake line, sprockets, skid plate, Scott's stablizer, etc. A lot of the parts are similiar between YZs so I'm hoping for a lot of fits.

• The jets from the kit will work, but the needle is probably different; check with JD
  • Chain Guide, yes
  • Hand Guards, yes
  • Brake line (I assume you mean front) may not fit due to changes in the master cylinder and caliper
  • Skid plate may fit with new holes drilled
  • Stabilizer: Stabilizer will, but the frame pin mount won't unless you have a very late version of it made to fit the '08. Even then, whether the rest of the mount fits or not depends on several things specific to the '09 and where your bars are mounted.

• FinchFan194

Posted October 21, 2009 - 06:22 PM

Gray the chain guide on my 08 is different than my buddies 06 I am giving him my TM designworks guide as it doesnt fit my new 08.

Now here is the burning question? Did I prove you wrong???? LOL

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:24 PM

Gray the chain guide on my 08 is different than my buddies 06 I am giving him my TM designworks guide as it doesnt fit my new 08.

Interesting. Kills off another assumption. :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FinchFan194

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:49 PM

I am now the foremost expert on here anyone else need my expertise?

• ProjectDIRT

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:52 PM

to help just check what factory stuff excanges the aftermarket will usually follow or check the manus. website.

• micahmorgan

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:41 AM

The jets from the kit will work, but the needle is probably different; check with JD

I've tried to call, but haven't been able to get in touch with anyone yet. I'll let ya know.

Brake line (I assume you mean front) may not fit due to changes in the master cylinder and caliper

Yep. I mean the front brake line. I put a hole in the factory one so I bought a stainless braided line. I was surprised at the difference. I hope I can change them out.

the chain guide on my 08 is different than my buddies 06 I am giving him my TM designworks guide as it doesnt fit my new 08.

I just bought that 06 TM chain guide a month ago too. The purchase of a new bike happened kinda quickly.

• micahmorgan

Posted October 22, 2009 - 07:52 PM

How about the fuel screw? Can I take it out of the 250f and put it in the 450f?

• FinchFan194

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:33 PM

You should be good to go on that one too.

• grayracer513

Posted October 22, 2009 - 09:30 PM

How about the fuel screw? Can I take it out of the 250f and put it in the 450f?

Yes..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.