Another Naive WR-450F Question: WR vs. DR-Z :)

6 replies to this topic
  • YZEtc

Posted October 21, 2009 - 02:59 AM

I'm on the verge of selling my year-old DR-Z400SM, which has the typical mods of 440cc big bore, Hotcams, FRC39 carb, FMF exhaust, and the required 3X3 airbox hole.
The DR-Z is a fine bike - I just lust after something different after a year or so. :bonk:

Question:
Anybody got experience with a power comparison between a DR-Z400 with such mods and a WR-450F that's been uncorked (derestricted to make it run as intended)?
Just curious at where you start at with a WR-450F.

• ASternad

Posted October 21, 2009 - 05:48 AM

WR uncorked is 49-51hp roughly. I have seen this posted here on TT with Dyno #'s.

• YamaLink

Posted October 21, 2009 - 06:26 AM

I had a DRZ400 with a 470 kit and a few other great mods. In terms of just power and delivery (not taking into account weight and suspension which we all know is most important cuz if you can't get the power to the ground....) my DRZ - and I presume yours - has more of a tractor pulling deeeep torque earth moving feel. Once I got the weight moving and banged second gear the DRZ would flat out haul, and I could run with almost any big bike. Let me add to that: if the terrain was relatively smooth I could run with any big bike. Get it rough and the DRZ's suspension would start being a detractor.

While a good running WR450F may not have that WHOA THIS IS SERIOUS MAN POWER feel, the suspension and weight and geometry would give me more confidence to actually keep the power on through the rougher stuff. It's not really an apples to apples comparison, but since you just asked about power I'd give the nod to the DRZ.....if I was strictly riding a big deep sandwash or climbing a gnarly hill that didn't have too many kicker bumps or sharp turns.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ASternad

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:03 AM

A uncorked WR is one thing, but a uncorked WR with a YZ header/pipe is whole different animal. Low end torque is alive and well.

• William1

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:56 AM

I have a few bikes. My nearly stock (free mods only) WR250F will smoke a my stock (except for the FCR) DRZ S.

A WR is a woods racing bike. The DRZ is a gentlemans trail plonker.

• erickdj

Posted October 21, 2009 - 02:28 PM

While a good running WR450F may not have that WHOA THIS IS SERIOUS MAN POWER feel.

Well, I guess you haven't tried a truly "uncorked" WR450F. A seriously uncorked WR450 WILL make you think "oh, s#1t!, this is too much power". :bonk:

the suspension and weight and geometry would give me more confidence to actually keep the power on through the rougher stuff.

The stock suspension does need some work to be "good", but from what I hear, it should still be quite better than the drz's suspension.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 21, 2009 - 04:37 PM

The DRZ motor can be made to do all sorts of things. It's still a under-suspended, overweight tank compared to a WR. I've had an XR650R fully modded and plated (too heavy), a DRZ-400 fully modded (great on the street, useless in rough dirt, for me), a CRF450X modded and plated (kept it) and got a WR450, modded and plated, and it is by far the most dirt oriented while still being highly civilized for long rides on the street. The CRFX is too volatile for mellow street runs.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.