Quiet pipe suggestions for 08 yz450f

86 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted November 11, 2009 - 08:40 PM

Jim513-

I put a Lexx pipe on my 2008 YZ450 this summer and have been very pleased. It cost about $200, has great fit and finish, easy install, USFS approved and sounds great. Good Luck.

I've had some curiosity about these since they've been offered. Have you ever had it sound tested?

• Jim813

Posted November 12, 2009 - 09:30 PM

Just got a call from FMF...my SS mega-bomb is shipping out today :smirk:

Did the new header come with the discount?

http://www.motocross...C2CA7130BADCD86

It's great to see FMF do this, especially since it last over four months:thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted November 13, 2009 - 01:52 PM

Did the new header come with the discount?

http://www.motocross...C2CA7130BADCD86

It's great to see FMF do this, especially since it last over four months:thumbsup:

I have a support contract with FMF so I am on a different discount schedule, but yes, it is nice to see them basically cutting their prices for awhile. With what is going on with the world economy right now there is a new reality in the retail marketplace which some companies seem to understand while others don't.

• WGP

Posted November 13, 2009 - 01:59 PM

I just had my 06 YZ450 sound tested at D36 AMA event.

Stock header with FMF Q4

97 db's

It only has a couple hard races on it...probably not the packing and I use a water plug when washing.

The tester said my fuel screw was adjusted wrong therefore my idle was to "high"

I still raced:p

• Wiz636

Posted November 13, 2009 - 04:42 PM

The stainless steel megabomb :excuseme:

Posted Image

• Woodenbat

Posted November 14, 2009 - 11:02 PM

I've had some curiosity about these since they've been offered. Have you ever had it sound tested?

I've never had it tested- I got through sound and spark arrestor checks in about 2 seconds at a recent enduro- if that tells you anything...the pipe was quiet enough that they didn't even bother to test it. It has a nice throaty sound & really isn't loud at all. The manufacturer claims that it is below 96db.

• Jim813

Posted November 16, 2009 - 07:17 PM

Would putting the stock complete exhaust off of a 09 WR450 be a reasonable option for what i am looking for? Does anyone know if it is U.S.F.S. approved?

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2009 - 08:04 PM

USFS approved. Pretty restrictive. Quiet though.

Edited by grayracer513, November 17, 2009 - 11:07 AM.
Correction to USFS status

• Wiz636

Posted November 17, 2009 - 09:49 AM

Installed my megabomb header this weekend and had a complete mudfest race on Sunday. The low end power brought out by the megabomb was nice!

Part of the course was back and forth through a grass track that had deteriorated into a giant back and forth mud bog (it has been raining here for days). Very soupy and power draining but the new found low end grunt my bike had was eating it up like candy. Q4 silencer and SS megabomb header...quiet and powerful :excuseme:

• Jim813

Posted November 17, 2009 - 10:21 AM

Not USFS approved. Pretty restrictive. Quiet though.

Gray, under the standard features of the 2009 Wr450f, in the engine sub-category, the muffler is listed as USFS legal?

http://www.yamahaoft...orcycles#detail

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jim813

Posted November 17, 2009 - 10:23 AM

Installed my megabomb header this weekend and had a complete mudfest race on Sunday. The low end power brought out by the megabomb was nice!

Part of the course was back and forth through a grass track that had deteriorated into a giant back and forth mud bog (it has been raining here for days). Very soupy and power draining but the new found low end grunt my bike had was eating it up like candy. Q4 silencer and SS megabomb header...quiet and powerful :excuseme:

Thanks for the update!:bonk: Did you notice sound being affected at all after installing the megabomb? Was power improved anywhere besides the bottom end?

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2009 - 11:06 AM

Gray, under the standard features of the 2009 Wr450f, in the engine sub-category, the muffler is listed as USFS legal?

http://www.yamahaoft...orcycles#detail

I stand corrected. Something new for '09, or has the WR been USFS approved for a while now?

• Wiz636

Posted November 17, 2009 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the update!:excuseme: Did you notice sound being affected at all after installing the megabomb? Was power improved anywhere besides the bottom end?

Yes, I noticed that the bike was a *little* more quiet with the megabomb. Also noticed that the megabomb definitely requires richer jetting on the pilot circuit.

As far as top end and MJ is concerned I was not really able to test that. The race was pretty tight and only in one section was I getting past 2nd gear (but I am running 14/48 gearing). The was one short pavement section though that I was hitting 5th gear but since it was pouring down rain there was not much traction so had to stay easy on the throttle.

• Jim813

Posted November 17, 2009 - 06:05 PM

I stand corrected. Something new for '09, or has the WR been USFS approved for a while now?

I don't remember my friend's 07 WR being spark arrested, but I may be wrong.
I would normally not consider a WR exhaust, since they are so restrictive, but they are legal, very quiet, and I can pick up a brand new take-off complete system from a 09 WR450 for about $200. Any suggestions?:excuseme:

• Jim813

Posted November 17, 2009 - 06:06 PM

Yes, I noticed that the bike was a *little* more quiet with the megabomb. Also noticed that the megabomb definitely requires richer jetting on the pilot circuit.

As far as top end and MJ is concerned I was not really able to test that. The race was pretty tight and only in one section was I getting past 2nd gear (but I am running 14/48 gearing). The was one short pavement section though that I was hitting 5th gear but since it was pouring down rain there was not much traction so had to stay easy on the throttle.

Thanks for that info:thumbsup:

• Demo_Slug

Posted November 17, 2009 - 07:01 PM

I don't remember my friend's 07 WR being spark arrested, but I may be wrong.
I would normally not consider a WR exhaust, since they are so restrictive, but they are legal, very quiet, and I can pick up a brand new take-off complete system from a 09 WR450 for about $200. Any suggestions?:excuseme:

I'm hesitant posting. but here goes.

for sure. the sparky is internal. its a big basket. there is not much packing in the WR pipe. its a lot like a flow master muffler with multiple chambers. as I recall there are 3 (2 bulkheads makes three chambers). there is no straight thru path for the exhaust. torturous path.

the stock pipe is sewing machine quiet. performance is awful. it does a fantastic job of getting rid of the low frequency. but can still be raspy at higher RPMs. does a great job of sounding like a lawn mower. power is awful.

if you ride with one for a while you'll be lusting for the deep throaty sound of an xr100.

there are very few circumstances I'd put the WR pipe back on. I certainly wouldn't spend money for one on purpose. but it should fit the YZ.

I'd think if you asked on the WR forum someone would send you one for the cost of postage.

this is just my personal opinion.

• Jim813

Posted November 17, 2009 - 07:26 PM

I'm hesitant posting. but here goes.

for sure. the sparky is internal. its a big basket. there is not much packing in the WR pipe. its a lot like a flow master muffler with multiple chambers. as I recall there are 3 (2 bulkheads makes three chambers). there is no straight thru path for the exhaust. torturous path.

the stock pipe is sewing machine quiet. performance is awful. it does a fantastic job of getting rid of the low frequency. but can still be raspy at higher RPMs. does a great job of sounding like a lawn mower. power is awful.

if you ride with one for a while you'll be lusting for the deep throaty sound of an xr100.

there are very few circumstances I'd put the WR pipe back on. I certainly wouldn't spend money for one on purpose. but it should fit the YZ.

I'd think if you asked on the WR forum someone would send you one for the cost of postage.

this is just my personal opinion.

Thanks for your post. I really just need a quiet exhaust to get me through a month or two until I can buy exactly what I want. Like you said hopefully someone can sell me something used for a good price and I can make do with that for.

• Jim813

Posted November 18, 2009 - 08:54 PM

The muffler comes with the quiet insert as shown in the drawing and a separate spark arressor that looks like it can only be used without the quiet insert. The quiet insert itself does not have a spark arrestor (it is just a smaller pipe). Therefore, if you put the quiet insert in it, it will be quiet but it will not have a spark arrestor. If you put the spark arrestor in, you will be without the quiet insert. This is a design flaw to me, but I do not use the quiet insert so it is not a problem (I do not use the spark arrestor either). I read someone else state this too, so I am pretty sure I am correct on this and I just looked at the parts to confirm. The pipe on the quiet insert is longer than the depth of the spark arrestor, and thus they cannot both go in unless maybe you had the spark arrestor protruding outside of the muffler in the backwards way.

After looking at the ebay deal onthe new Leo-Vince, I contacted them. I contacted the Leo-Vince seller ( The seller is directly from Leo-Vince) on ebay and then I called Leo-Vince by phone. Here is the ebay seller's direct words:

Yes, there should be a quiet core insert that is included that will allow you to run the insert along with the spark arrestor. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks!

- leovinceoutlet

The person on the phone( Keep in mind I asked about the motocross muffler only) said that the quiet core and spark arrestor wouldn't work together, but they make a quiet core/spark arrestor-in-one insert. But,t he employee on the phone told me that the quiet insert would not do anything for me since they already make the muffler under 94db, and that all I would need is the quiet insert.

:bonk: Some people may thing I am dragging this out and should have bought an exhaust weeks ago. I really want to make the correct decision on which to buy. If you are thinking I should just buy the Q4 and quit asking questions, I am more interested in the Jardine or Leo-Vince because of their quality and I have never heard of issues with either exhaust, and I can't say the same about FMF.

I appreciate all of the help I have been given :excuseme:

• FinchFan194

Posted November 18, 2009 - 09:01 PM

One thing I do know about LeoVince is when you buy their stuff it is the same thing their race teams are running same high quality materials and so on. The same cannot be said about any other exhaust system IMO.

• Wfomx463

Posted November 19, 2009 - 09:18 AM

i have the fmf 4.1 with the spark arrestor quiet insert. works good repacked once within a year. needs repacked again tho. the new leo vince pipes have the option to run the quiet insert and the spark arrestor. leo is very nice sound and quiet. lots of bottom end too. i just put one on my friends bike. you have heard a lot of issues with the fmf because there is thousands of them out there compared to relitivle few leo vince or jardine pipes. i would not buy a jardine pipe for my bike IMO.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.