Quiet pipe suggestions for 08 yz450f

86 replies to this topic
  • Jim813

Posted October 20, 2009 - 05:29 PM

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:
This is not one of the many extremely over-posted threads about what is the best pipe for a 06-09 yz450f. This post is for riders with quiet exhaust systems to provide input and suggestions, or anything to do with a quiet exhaust system.

I am looking for a slip-on muffler or complete system for a 2006-2009 yz450f. It needs to have a U.S.F.S approved spark arrestor( including the stamp on the muffler can saying that the muffler is USFS approved), as well as EASILY and continuously pass the 96db limit. I am not looking for a pipe that I have to re-pack every ten hours to pass a sound test. I've looked at some of the exhaust systems available, and already eliminated a few. I am looking for a durable and reliable exhaust as well.

Pro-circuit: Too expensive for what I'm looking for.

MRD: many recommendations from other riders in different forums, but it does not have the U.S.F.S approved stamp.

Vance & Hines ( White bro's): I have a friend who bought an exhaust system from them. The spark arrestor insert constantly rattled loose, even with a weld holding the insert in!

I am wondering how exhaust systems, such as Dr.D, FMF 4.1, and others, work when they have the 96db( same as "94db" to the FIM) insert? How close are they to failing? How do they perform? Does the muffler have to re-packed constantly to pass sound tests?

I know the FMF Q4, or even a take-off WR muffler are the easy and very quiet choices, but I want to explore all my options:smirk:.

• tribalbc

Posted October 20, 2009 - 06:44 PM

I'll throw another option out there.
I have a WR450 with the 08 YZ exhaust system + PMB USFS SA end cap and there silent insert.
I just pass 96db's regularly at races. Packing is long lasting with this exhaust, I use Silent Sport.
I'm sure if you went with there ultra silent insert rather than the silent you would be an easy 96db pass.
2yrs with this system and it has held up well other than the andonizing turning gray.

• grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2009 - 07:44 PM

DRD claims that theirs will pass at 96 with fresh packing. Their spark arrestor IS USFS stamped, but using the sparky precludes the use of the quiet insert. They also point out that the quiet insert degrades the packing more rapidly.

More info may be available on their site I use one of their pipe/sparky combos on both my '06's, and have no complaints other than interference with the oil pump cover.

I think that there are quieter options, however.

• Wiz636

Posted October 20, 2009 - 08:48 PM

DRD claims that theirs will pass at 96 with fresh packing. Their spark arrestor IS USFS stamped, but using the sparky precludes the use of the quiet insert. They also point out that the quiet insert degrades the packing more rapidly.

More info may be available on their site I use one of their pipe/sparky combos on both my '06's, and have no complaints other than interference with the oil pump cover.

Hmmm...I have both the sparky and the quiet insert in my DRD. The DRD system makes killer power but it is not a quiet system, nor is it a loud system. It does need regular repacking to stay on it's quieter end.

• donald callery

Posted October 20, 2009 - 08:53 PM

stock pipe?

• yz_for_me

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:06 PM

I have an '07 with the Q4 on it. It is very quiet has good power and certainly would be a good choice but can run on the spendy side. However, I may have a solution for you. A friend of mine has the Pro Circuit 496 exhaust on his 06 and I can honestly say it is on par with the Q4 in terms of quiet. Now I haven't actually done a db sound check or dyno'd the two, but to my ear and the seat of my pants anyway, the Q4 and the 496 are very comparable. The 496 is also USFS approved. I know you said Pro Circuit was too expensive, but I'd still suggest considering the 496.

Edited by yz_for_me, October 20, 2009 - 11:47 PM.

• INJURY_69

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:42 PM

I had a Q4 on my '03 and it was ok but not that quite at idle (I barely pass 96db) and to me was not quiet at all if the bike was not at a low RPM. Killed a little low end but not not much. Also the end cap rivets came out real quick like but FMF sent me a replacement exhaust which was way cool.

• nwbikerider

Posted October 21, 2009 - 05:56 AM

I'd like to know as well. I have an FMF ti 4.1 on my '09 yz450, and wouldn't mind something quieter. Doesn't make sense because I have an insert, but you can't use it with the S/A screen...:bonk: Take your pick, quiet, or safe.

Oh, and no one has mentioned the Leo Vince?

• eastreich

Posted October 21, 2009 - 06:10 AM

I am running a Yoshimura on my KTM. Picked it up really cheap (under $200) on closeout directly from Yoshimura around this time last year. With the TEC insert in it, it is easily quiet enough to pass sound (tested under 95db at a National) and S/A legal. Even with shot packing (as it is now) it is still quiet. I did get the aluminum/stainless silencer for longevity purposes. I have seen way too many carbon fiber silencers get dystroyed in crashes and titanium ones get dented up to want to spend that kind of money.

Best of all, the performance loss with the quiet insert truly is minimal with this pipe. I leave it now even when on the MX track.

I can't remember if it is stamped or not though. There may have been a sticker on it at one time, but I wore all those off with some soil sampling that I was doing earlier in the year.

• grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:16 AM

stock pipe?

Pay attention

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING:

It needs to have a U.S.F.S approved spark arrestor( including the stamp on the muffler can saying that the muffler is USFS approved),...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 21, 2009 - 07:18 AM

Hmmm...I have both the sparky and the quiet insert in my DRD. The DRD system makes killer power but it is not a quiet system, nor is it a loud system. It does need regular repacking to stay on it's quieter end.

Perhaps I gave dated info, then. That was true of the first generation QI's. They must have changed the insert to accommodate the screen.

• Jim813

Posted October 21, 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'll throw another option out there.
I have a WR450 with the 08 YZ exhaust system + PMB USFS SA end cap and there silent insert.
I just pass 96db's regularly at races. Packing is long lasting with this exhaust, I use Silent Sport.
I'm sure if you went with there ultra silent insert rather than the silent you would be an easy 96db pass.
2yrs with this system and it has held up well other than the andonizing turning gray.

I was considering this option, but I am sceptical about the stock muffler, especially after reading this post:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=841329

I am not worreid about the interference with the oil pump cover, as I would most likely use your mod and replace the allen screw with a bolt.

I am concerned about how close it would be, as well as how often the muffler would have to be repacked.

Have you ever had your Dr.D system sound tested with both inserts?

I have an '07 with the Q4 on it. It is very quiet has good power and certainly would be a good choice but can run on the spendy side. However, I may have a solution for you. A friend of mine has the Pro Circuit 496 exhaust on his 06 and I can honestly say it is on par with the Q4 in terms of quiet. Now I haven't actually done a db sound check or dyno'd the two, but to my ear and the seat of my pants anyway, the Q4 and the 496 are very comparable. The 496 is also USFS approved.

I appreciate your suggestion. I wasn't aware that the 496 was still produced. I may be looking to go down this route in the future, but I would like to explore all my options first.

I am running a Yoshimura on my KTM. Picked it up really cheap (under $200) on closeout directly from Yoshimura around this time last year. With the TEC insert in it, it is easily quiet enough to pass sound (tested under 95db at a National) and S/A legal. Even with shot packing (as it is now) it is still quiet. I did get the aluminum/stainless silencer for longevity purposes. I have seen way too many carbon fiber silencers get dystroyed in crashes and titanium ones get dented up to want to spend that kind of money.

Best of all, the performance loss with the quiet insert truly is minimal with this pipe. I leave it now even when on the MX track.

I can't remember if it is stamped or not though. There may have been a sticker on it at one time, but I wore all those off with some soil sampling that I was doing earlier in the year.

That sounds like a great deal. But, it is very important that it has some kind of stamp or label that says the muffler is U.S.F.S. approved. I have yet to be stopped by a forest ranger, but a few people I know have been multiple times. Some people had U.S.F.S. spark arrestors, while some had the approved spark arrestor, but their muffler can had a sticker instead of the stamp. When the time came to check for a legitimate label, there was none as the sticker has been rubbed/peeled/torn off. Therefore, I would prefer a stamp. Also, while some tech inspections just use the poke test and call it good, some tech inspections I've watched require the U.S.F.S approved spark arrestor stamp/ sticker.

• tribalbc

Posted October 21, 2009 - 10:18 AM

[quote name='jim513']I was considering this option, but I am sceptical about the stock muffler, especially after reading this post:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=841329

QUOTE]

I think it's actually a pretty durable system.Mines been abused pretty heavily racing Hare Scrambles including falling off a teeter totter onto a concrete barricade right on the can (endorucross style course) It only suffered a minor dent and I have since repacked it with no issue. That was a hard solid hit that I'm amazed didn't crush it.
I also like how the stock Yamaha headers are tucked up out of harms ways for logs and rocks.

• Aka.Goose

Posted October 21, 2009 - 11:27 AM

I'd say don't worry so much about the stamp, if you like a system that only has a sticker, remove the sticker carefully and keep it with your registration, or stick on the opposite fork tube like your registration sticker...Nobody is going to hassle you about the sticker not being on the muffler if you actually still have it...Especially if you pass the sound/screen test easily...
I'm using the Q4ti, and wouldn't recommend it if you're racing...Smooth powerband, no bottom end hit like my old WB AlumProII had...

• KAS

Posted October 21, 2009 - 02:01 PM

I've been in the same boat as you. Here's what I came up with.

Any loud-ass pipe that comes with a "quiet insert" (DR. D, FMF 4.1, etc) usually sucks. The insert is basically a plug and they are still kind of noisy. I wouldn't recommend that route.

The FMF Q4 is fairly quiet, but in my experiences I've found FMF seems to have problems with quality control.

Akrapovic sells a quiet pipe, but I don't have any experience with them besides hearing one on somebody else's bike. Plus you might have to sell a kidney to afford one.

I think Leo Vince is a great choice. Their stainless/aluminum pipes aren't too pricy, and they are pretty quiet.

Finally, we come to the exhaust that I settled on, the Jardine RT94. After reading a couple reviews and talking with the company, I decided to try one. I am very pleased with this exhaust.

Check out my review of the RT94 here:

• Jim813

Posted October 21, 2009 - 05:26 PM

I've been in the same boat as you. Here's what I came up with.

Any loud-ass pipe that comes with a "quiet insert" (DR. D, FMF 4.1, etc) usually sucks. The insert is basically a plug and they are still kind of noisy. I wouldn't recommend that route.

The FMF Q4 is fairly quiet, but in my experiences I've found FMF seems to have problems with quality control.

Akrapovic sells a quiet pipe, but I don't have any experience with them besides hearing one on somebody else's bike. Plus you might have to sell a kidney to afford one.

I think Leo Vince is a great choice. Their stainless/aluminum pipes aren't too pricy, and they are pretty quiet.

Finally, we come to the exhaust that I settled on, the Jardine RT94. After reading a couple reviews and talking with the company, I decided to try one. I am very pleased with this exhaust.

Check out my review of the RT94 here:

Interesting. What did the system sound test at? How has it been holding up now that you have put some time on the system?

• KAS

Posted October 21, 2009 - 06:48 PM

Interesting. What did the system sound test at? How has it been holding up now that you have put some time on the system?

Its held up great.

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to get it tested yet.

• Jim813

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:40 PM

I'd say don't worry so much about the stamp, if you like a system that only has a sticker, remove the sticker carefully and keep it with your registration, or stick on the opposite fork tube like your registration sticker...Nobody is going to hassle you about the sticker not being on the muffler if you actually still have it...Especially if you pass the sound/screen test easily...
I'm using the Q4ti, and wouldn't recommend it if you're racing...Smooth powerband, no bottom end hit like my old WB AlumProII had...

Some forest park rangers I have heard of check for the stamp/sticker, and if that rider doesn't have the sticker, regardless if they do have a spark arrestor or not, will at least keep them from riding their bike any longer, and make sure they get a ride out in the back of a pick-up or trailer. Some rangers don't really have much knowledge in the dirt-bike area, and even with the most persuading speech, won't let you off if your not "legal"(U.S.F.S. approved stamp/sticker). I am not as concerned at races because most tech inspectors know what systems come with a spark arrestor ( most aftermarket systems) and which don't (most stock systems).

I am racing, and even though I'm younger and "know it all" :bonk: when compared to the the majority of riders on a 450, and I should want more power (who doesn't most of the time?), I have realized long ago that I don't need more power, as that just makes me shut off sooner and fatigue quicker. Beside the fact, I don't believe any aftermarket exhaust, even the Q4, will decrease usable power from my 08 with the stock restrictive muffler, but correct me if I'm wrong?

• Jim813

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:40 PM

Its held up great.

To be honest, I haven't had a chance to get it tested yet.

Thanks for the information.

• ragge86

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:41 PM

i give my vote to leo-vince as well. i bought 1 for my rmz in the summer, and it's just as quiet as the stock silencer. good quality and fit in my opinion to.
considering 1 to my yz i bought recently to, since i consider the stock silencer to be much to loud, alot of people complaining on sound levels here already.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.