New pipe, need a heat guard.

11 replies to this topic
  • Fabulous

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:00 AM

I intalled a new Jardine RT-5 full exhaust on my 08 450 last night, and it looks awesome, but I'm almost certain that the header will melt my over the boot pants. Is there any companied that make a nice looking, universal heat guard? I need one that is probably no longer than 10cm due to the shape of the header (it has a slight kink in the design compared to the flowing DR. D system). Also, the bike started up a little harder than notmal when I installed the pipe, so I assume it's going to need jetting changes?! Although once I got it started it ran great, with just some slight popping on decel. I ride at 1500- 5000 ft elevation...anyone have any recomendations?

• KJ790

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:13 AM

Are you looking for something like this?

As for jetting, it sounds like you need to richen the fuel screw, or go up on the pilot jet if your fuel screw is already out pretty far.

• Fabulous

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, that guard is nice, but I think it's 8 inches long, which might be too long for the area I'm looking to cover. The carb has never been touched, but I am getting a adjustable fuel screw for the bike...a Merge one, hopefully that helps.

• Fabulous

Posted October 21, 2009 - 08:10 AM

Anyone else have any recommendations? If not I will probably go with the Moose unit...

• FinchFan194

Posted October 21, 2009 - 02:19 PM

You can see if a buddy or a buddy of a buddy has a factory Honda one they just strap on with hose clamps. I had one on my 04 450 with an aftermarket header it worked fine.

• Aka.Goose

Posted October 21, 2009 - 02:25 PM

:lol:Man I was going to say check out E-line,
But I checked there first and they want $70
for a 6" CF guard! :bonk:

Search on here there's a few "how to make your own carbon fiber parts" threads...Would be an easy one to make yourself...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • writebrian

Posted October 23, 2009 - 10:13 PM

I used fiberglass exhaust wrap

• Fabulous

Posted October 24, 2009 - 12:20 PM

Hmmm...I'm not really keen on the wrap...I want it to look nice. The RT-5 exhaust I got has a carbon fiber end cap, so I was hoping I could find something to match.

• RomanianRacer

Posted October 24, 2009 - 03:27 PM

get some exhaust heat wrap! Sure it doesn't look as cool as a guard but it serves its purpose. Also it's cheap and you just throw the old one off a couple of rides and wrap up a new one.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted October 24, 2009 - 08:01 PM

:bonk: I think it looks cool .... Not ugly ...

• Fabulous

Posted October 25, 2009 - 10:31 AM

Any pics? All I've ever seen is the white stuff...does it come in other colors, like blue, or black?

• writebrian

Posted October 25, 2009 - 11:31 AM

White would be ugly, so don't buy it. Mine came gray and I sprayed it with high temp exhaust wrap paint to waterproof it which turned it black. You can also get titanium wrap. More expensive but it looks like... CARBON FIBER!!!! Also has a higher temp tolerance than fiberglass based.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.