coolant use???

10 replies to this topic
  • t-rev8

Posted October 20, 2009 - 06:23 AM

i got 1200 miles on 07 450, never had to add coolant and the other day went for a 90 mile ride with mild temps and the bike used all coolant in holding tank and was a little low in the radiator.... any ideas thanks t-rev8

• matt4x4

Posted October 20, 2009 - 07:20 AM

First - check your watrerpump weep hole, make sure it's clear and check for a drip under your bike in that location when you park it or are warming it up - if you do have a drip there, it's an indication that you need to replace your water pump shaft and seals (2) - a common issue on all bikes.

If the weep hole is dry, then check your oil, if it's milky, you have a blown head gasket and it's leaking into your oil.

If the oil is OK, you may have a leak into your cylinder - is your bike smoking white or smelling sweet out of the exhaust?

If none of the above apply you will have to look for an external leak like at the rad or on the hoses......

• t-rev8

Posted October 20, 2009 - 05:13 PM

will check everything..... how hard to do the head gasket??

• matt4x4

Posted October 21, 2009 - 05:45 AM

not too hard - download a manual from yamaha of australia - they have them online. While you're in there check your valve clearances and replace the shims if they need it.

• t-rev8

Posted October 21, 2009 - 06:30 AM

thanks i have the manual.. what coolant is recomended other than yamacool? thanks t-rev8

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ww44wrf450f

Posted October 21, 2009 - 09:43 AM

Just put clean water in it 4 now -- C what's up first --:bonk: -- you can drain it and flush it later -- find the problem and fix it first -- mixing diff. brands(color's) of antifreeze is not recommended practice. You can do a search on this, but a good quality preston with de-mineralized water will work!

-- Curios to C how you make out?

• t-rev8

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:05 PM

First - check your watrerpump weep hole, make sure it's clear and check for a drip under your bike in that location when you park it or are warming it up - if you do have a drip there, it's an indication that you need to replace your water pump shaft and seals (2) - a common issue on all bikes.

If the weep hole is dry, then check your oil, if it's milky, you have a blown head gasket and it's leaking into your oil.

If the oil is OK, you may have a leak into your cylinder - is your bike smoking white or smelling sweet out of the exhaust?

If none of the above apply you will have to look for an external leak like at the rad or on the hoses......

if indeed a head gasket witch one has to be replace...top or bottom or both?i dont know if the lower is even considerd a head gasket? thanks again t-rev8

• JSanfilippo

Posted October 22, 2009 - 08:28 PM

if indeed a head gasket witch one has to be replace...top or bottom or both?i dont know if the lower is even considerd a head gasket? thanks again t-rev8

The bottom gasket is called the base gasket. The only one you have to worry about in your situation is the head gasket...if that.

• t-rev8

Posted October 24, 2009 - 03:26 PM

well today went for a 25 mile scoot to see if i could find something... so i toped it off and it did not use any?.. yet maybe not long enough to tell? oil looks good and the bike does not smoke runs great? we will see.... thanks t-rev8

• t-rev8

Posted October 29, 2009 - 04:49 PM

would a touch of blue smoke on start up indicate head gasket?

• matt4x4

Posted October 30, 2009 - 03:27 AM

No - that's oil. Head gasket leaks will produce white smoke.
Probably somewhat normal - esp. on first start if it sat a bit - as long as it disappears almost immediately.

Strange that you'd use all the coolant in the reservoir one day, then none the next - definitely keep an eye on this.

Have you checked your hose between the rad and the reservoir for pinches or cuts? Was your rad cap on properly that day?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.