Best handguards for '08 WR 450 F?

13 replies to this topic
  • eracer

Posted October 19, 2009 - 09:44 PM

I'm planning to buy a new set of handguards for my 2008 WR 450 F. I've been reading that there's a lot of trouble in the mounting process of handguards with the WRs. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for some guards which are easy to mount and provide good protection..

Thanks for your help!

• willy_fitz

Posted October 20, 2009 - 12:41 AM

I use the Cycra Pro-Bend with the adaptors that mount with the pinch bolts for the forks (top triple clamp). This setup gives me lots of clearance and is quite strong since I have a bad habit of bumping into trees.

• rkwfxd1

Posted October 20, 2009 - 04:36 AM

I searched this same topic for my '09 and the general opinion was Cycra was the best. I bought them and had to modify (shorten) them to get them to fit my '09 with the included u-clamps. I am happy with them now.

I have since learned that Yamaha changed the bars slightly on the '09s and that is why they did not mount correctly. The KTM clamps apparently work for the '09 WRs. In my search I learned that a ton of guys mounted the Cycras on their '07 and '08 WRs with no problems. You have an '08 so you should be fine.

Finally, Yamaha has an accessory cateloge which lists handguards for the WR and YZ. They are similar in design to the Cyrcas and since they are factory they should bolt right on.

• ohioryder

Posted October 20, 2009 - 04:48 AM

The bars were changed after 2007. So for 2008+ models you must use part #7230-02X which is listed for the KTM Renthal Taper bars (2003-2008).

Posted October 20, 2009 - 05:22 AM

Cycra's are my personal choice as well but I have to disagree on the triple clamp mount. After running them for several years on two different bikes I found that they bend very easily with a side impact to the guard. Since then I switched to the bar mounts and they are much stronger.

• eracer

Posted October 20, 2009 - 06:59 AM

Thanks! I think I'll try the ProBend then.. The only question now is.. If I'm not mounting the triple clamp ones, which are the right ones? Ubar mount?? And do I buy for Protaper bars or KTM as requested?

• eracer

Posted October 20, 2009 - 07:12 AM

Forgot to mention! I'm looking to buy either the Uclamp standard 7/8" set (Prt # 12-3131) or the Uclamp KTM OEM 03-08 (Renthal, Neken) 08 ProTaper Set (Prt #12-3133).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ohioryder

Posted October 20, 2009 - 07:46 AM

If you have the stock bars on your 08 WR450f then you cannot use 7/8 bar mounts. Pro Bend changed their bar design (bend) for 08 and you must use the U-clamps listed for 08+ pro bend bars/ KTM 03-08 Renthal Taper bars. I am surprised TT doesnt sell the handgaurds as a package. Your paying $115 total when you can purchase as a complete package (manufactor part#7230-02X) for $100 to your door http://www.motosport...atalogId=108452

If you want to support the site and purchase from TT call them at the store and ask for a complete set price at $99.99.

• ASternad

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Cyra Pro's and Bonz mounts on my 09.

Posted October 20, 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thanks! I think I'll try the ProBend then.. The only question now is.. If I'm not mounting the triple clamp ones, which are the right ones? Ubar mount?? And do I buy for Protaper bars or KTM as requested?

You want the u-clamps (bar to bar mount). I still have my stock bars on the '08 with just a riser as I like the bend. The Cycra's with the u-clamps were pretty easy to mount. You may need to swap the u-clamps to the opposite sides to have them clear the front brake line fitting, but no biggie. I don't recall if I had to or not, it really depends on what angle you like the hand guards at.

• RedBull420

Posted October 20, 2009 - 06:39 PM

Another Pro Bend / Bonz user :bonk:

• JM450

Posted October 20, 2009 - 08:24 PM

I have the moose offroad bars becuse the dealer threw them in the deal along with a skid plate. But I had to buy the Cycra u clamps to make them fit right and they bolted right up to my 08 wr 450. It has been tipped over more than I'd like to admit and they have held up well. I do prefer the Cycra pro bends best though and someday I'll but another set.

• YamaLink

Posted October 21, 2009 - 02:39 PM

Cycra is a good way to go. I, unfortunately, seem to bend my guards easier when mounted to the triple clamps. When mounted to the handlebar they will turn up on some crashes, but the aluminum doesn't get twisted.

Having said that - and maybe I'm lucky cuz I have not hit any trees/rocks/buried VW Bugs - I've had good luck with the Fastway roost deflectors. Not as flimsy as the other shields I've tried.

• eracer

Posted October 21, 2009 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for your reply everyone!, I finnally ordered the Cycra Probend Handguards with the 08+ pro bend bars/ KTM 03-08 Renthal Taper bars Uclamp mounts. I'll let you know how it went!

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.