650R dumping fuel from overflow today!

3 replies to this topic
  • smashinz2002

Posted April 20, 2003 - 06:54 PM

I was wondering if anyone else out there has had a problem with the fuel petcock internal rubber grommet falling apart and finding part of itself lodged between the fuel inlet and float needle valve?
Today, I was riding and noticed fuel pouring from the overflow tube. I pull over, turned of the petcock, and it still continued to spill out.
I called a friend of mine to come pick me and my bike up, and after getting home, I took the carb off, knowing the needle valve was obviously stuck wide open for some reason. What I found was a small piece of rubber, lodged between the needle valve and it's seat. That seemed odd, and also since the petcock would not turn off, I thought something was up. I took off the petcock, and the rubber flow control grommet had a chunk missing from it! Aha! That chunk was what caused the problem. I will be ordering a new petcock this week, since Honda doesn't offer just the rubber part (that sux). Anyway, has anyone had this happen before? it's new to me. I've had O-rings in the petcock fail and leak from the petcock itself (in previous bikes I've had), but never something like this. I guess it was just a faulty part to begin with.
Kinda sucks, because this break-down forced me to ride my old '83 Suzuki DR500 for the rest of the evening, and it's not exactly "state of the art".
L.L.

• CoreyClough

Posted April 21, 2003 - 10:23 AM

Just like what we found in Kevin's Carb. this past weekend. Had he installed a little $2.95 In-line fuel filter on his XR, that little pice of crap wouldn't have lodged itself in the float valve, letting fuel run out his overflow. Cheap insurance, and no more junk in the carb! He's going to get one now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dutch

Posted April 21, 2003 - 11:56 AM

Good luck finding a place to mount a inline filter on the 650R.

• smashinz2002

Posted April 21, 2003 - 06:04 PM

cool, so someone else had experienced this before! That petcock really seems quite cheaply made. I ordered one today and those run about 45 bucks!! What a rip! Oh well.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  132 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.