yz450f wont idle when warm

9 replies to this topic
  • findley

Posted October 19, 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hey guys first post and I am new to dirtbikes as well. I did make an effort to search my issue but I found nothing that related. If I missed the post for this I would be grateful if you could send me the right direction. My problem is this I bought an 06 yz 450 that was a racing bike but had all stock parts back on it. Right away i discovered when it got warmed up it wouldnt idle and the warmer it gets the higher i have to keep the idle, on one occasion it was 1/2 throttle. so far I have put in a new sparkplug, cleaned the carb multiple times, checked the valves, new fuel. It will idle with the choke on. I am almost convinced it is an electrical issue, any thoughts?

• l_campionero

Posted October 19, 2009 - 05:31 PM

Have the carb cleaned out by a reputable dealer. I have had issues with both a WR250F, and a YZ250F, and professional cleaning solved the problems.

• 426 NOOB

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:15 PM

Hey guys first post and I am new to dirtbikes as well. I did make an effort to search my issue but I found nothing that related. If I missed the post for this I would be grateful if you could send me the right direction. My problem is this I bought an 06 yz 450 that was a racing bike but had all stock parts back on it. Right away i discovered when it got warmed up it wouldnt idle and the warmer it gets the higher i have to keep the idle, on one occasion it was 1/2 throttle. so far I have put in a new sparkplug, cleaned the carb multiple times, checked the valves, new fuel. It will idle with the choke on. I am almost convinced it is an electrical issue, any thoughts?

to me it still sounds like a carb issue. Either the pilot is plugged or it is the wrong size. When you say it was put back to stock, what sort of performance parts were on it?

• 426 NOOB

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:20 PM

Have the carb cleaned out by a reputable dealer. I have had issues with both a WR250F, and a YZ250F, and professional cleaning solved the problems.

also, most of the time it is just a jet. It has always been easier for me to just buy new ones instead of trying to clean them which always fails for me.

• findley

Posted October 19, 2009 - 07:06 PM

I have no idea what performance parts were put in the carb, I just assumed it had. I do know it had some other than factory exhaust on it. the pilot is a new 45, I also had a 48 in there and one of them quickshot 2 on there but it was no help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2009 - 07:58 PM

The relationship of temperature to the problem is telling you that your idle circuit is too rich. The #45 should be the right size pilot, so try the adjustment process:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• spark250

Posted October 21, 2009 - 12:30 PM

fuel screw!

Make sure you have no air inlet restrictions as well. Clean air filter?

• findley

Posted October 22, 2009 - 03:43 PM

I tried to start the bike tonight, used the choke it cranked right up. A little bit of coolant leaked from around the waterpump, probably something to do with it sitting for a couple weeks. any way after 30 seconds I turned the choke off and it continued to idle very high, I attempted to turn it down but nothing happened!!! no matter wich way 1 turn up or down did not affect the idle then it dropped and died. it cranked right back up but then died this continued for a while then I got mad and walked away, the pilet screw is backed out 3/4 turn. It may be a dirtyjet somewhere still, I dont want to believe it tho because I payed an atv repair guy a good chunk of money to clean it, twice. SO, should i take it to a yamaha dealer and know it was cleaned right, or take another course of action?

• findley

Posted October 22, 2009 - 03:47 PM

the air filter is clean and not over oiled

• findley

Posted November 02, 2009 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for the suggestions, I ended up taking it to a dealer to be repaired. the problem was indeed a dirty jet in the accelerator pump. they said they had to pull the carb off twice before they finally got it clean. total bill $118, lesson learned.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.