rounded nut on swingarm chain adjustmeny help!!

7 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 19, 2009 - 03:42 PM

one on the nuts on the chain adjustment bolts is rounded. how can i get it off. its attached to the bolt that goes into the swing arm. pliers dont work the metal is to soft. please help!!!!

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2009 - 03:52 PM

Start by removing the axle and rear wheel. Then, if there is anything left of the hex at all, put a 12mm box end (preferably a 6 point) over the jam nut. You may have to tap it down over the nut. Now, take a 10mm box end or socket (again, preferably a 6 point) on the end of the adjuster bolt, and turn them both at the same time. Use of a good penetrating oil is advised.

If you have already beat up the nut beyond where a wrench will hold at all, use pliers in conjunction with the socket on the adjuster bolt. and turn the nut and bolt together.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:04 PM

does the bolt going into the swingarm come out so i can get a new nut onto the bolt if i get the nut to loosen? i think the nut still has two fairly flat sides. i used a 12 mm open wrench on it when it rounded more than it was already. are you susposed to use a box wrench on that bolt?

• pscook

Posted October 20, 2009 - 09:35 AM

You can only use a box end wrench if the axle is removed. I would try using a 12mm deep socket if the box wrench won't fit. You won't need to hold the bolt in place if you are just trying to remove the whole thing and don't care about keeping the adjustment. Everything should spin out together, thus making it easier to replace the offending nut.

The nut and bolt are separate, you should be able to use any 8mm nut in place of the rounded example. I like the nut design that is on there, so I would use the same style if it were me replacing it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 20, 2009 - 10:04 AM

I would try using a 12mm deep socket if the box wrench won't fit.

That defeats the purpose of the advice I gave. Using a deep socket on the nut applies force only to the nut, whereas using a box end on the nut, and another wrench on the bolt applies torque to both at once, lessening the load on the damaged nut by distributing some of it to the bolt. Turning them both at once increases the likelihood that it will come loose successfully.

This is actually the best practice anyway, even when the nut is not rounded; loosen the axle, and use two wrenches, one on the nut, and one on the bolt. Another neat trick is to use what's called a "flare nut wrench", or "line wrench", on the nut, as these tools are open so they can pass over the bolt, but still grip on 5 of the six points of the nut.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 20, 2009 - 04:40 PM

:worthy:thanks gray and pscook i went out just a minute ago and popped out the axel and put the box end wrenches on both bolts and got it to loosen.:bonk: now i need to bleed my brakes and was wondering what tools i need for that. i had to remove the hoses and the fluid leaked out when i swapped the suspension. also i need to bleed the forks from a yz426f.they were laying down and i picked them up and held them up right and i heard air bubbling in the oil as it flowed back down in the forks. thanks again:thumbsup:

• pscook

Posted October 20, 2009 - 04:57 PM

That defeats the purpose of the advice I gave. Using a deep socket on the nut applies force only to the nut, whereas using a box end on the nut, and another wrench on the bolt applies torque to both at once, lessening the load on the damaged nut by distributing some of it to the bolt. Turning them both at once increases the likelihood that it will come loose successfully.

This is actually the best practice anyway, even when the nut is not rounded; loosen the axle, and use two wrenches, one on the nut, and one on the bolt. Another neat trick is to use what's called a "flare nut wrench", or "line wrench", on the nut, as these tools are open so they can pass over the bolt, but still grip on 5 of the six points of the nut.

Unfortunately, on my YZ426 there is not enough room for a box wrench, let alone a flare nut wrench. Turning out just the nut with a 6 point socket might have disadvantages, but if a box wrench won't fit, what else can you do? Also unfortunately, I did not see where you said turn both in the same direction. Huh, foiled again by simple reading comprehension.

If I get ambitious, I will be replacing my rounded off adjustment nuts and using a flank wrench instead of the standard wrench on those particular nuts. Do they add butter to those things during manufacture, or is it planned obsolescence? They seem to round off awfully easy.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 20, 2009 - 05:14 PM

im not sure what a box end wrench is i guess because it should fit on you yz426f i think if they are what i think they are. i used the closed end on a wrench. the bolt head on the swing arm bolt is 10mm so the closed 12mm "box end wrench" slide over the 10mm bolt head and down the threads to the nut. then i put a 10mm box end wrench on the bolt and loosened at the same time as was suggested. i removed the axel though

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.