'05 YZ 450f, New Top End?

1 reply to this topic
  • DRich43

Posted October 19, 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hello All,

How do you know when you need a Top End...I check my valves a few times a year, change my oil way too much, clean my air filter all the time but i just want to know what to look for.

I just cant afford a little problem turning into something too expensive...

Thanks,

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2009 - 03:41 PM

When your valves need to be shimmed two sizes (.10mm) smaller, and/or won't stay adjusted more than a few hours, you need valves.

When the engine fails a leak down test, you need rings, and possibly a piston. More than a 10-15% loss in a leak down is usually pretty much a failed test, but that depends a great deal on the particular tester used, as there is no real standard by which they are made.

You can also go by time or mileage, and a visual inspection of the piston and bore. The life of the bore itself can sometimes be almost doubled by replacing a piston before it quite really needs it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.