08 450f exhaust went boom

6 replies to this topic
  • TheHarp

Posted October 19, 2009 - 07:59 AM

I've been running my 08 supermotard pretty hard all season at the big tracks...lots of sustained high RPM run time. The exhaust finally gave out between turns 4 and 5 at PIR. :bonk:

Posted Image

It sure did sound mean the rest of the way into the pits. :bonk:

I re-built it this weekend...now an inch shorter:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2009 - 09:12 AM

I think there's a message there regarding how restrictive the muffler is...:bonk:

• TheHarp

Posted October 19, 2009 - 10:44 AM

I think there's a message there regarding how restrictive the muffler is...:bonk:

Very true, but not so much now. The small cone welded to the inside of the perforated tube is now gone. The larger cone is now trimmed down and the solid tube is now perforated.

I just need this hack to last me a while longer...new pipe next year.
:bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted October 19, 2009 - 11:33 AM

The small cone welded to the inside of the perforated tube is now gone. The larger cone is now trimmed down and the solid tube is now perforated.

Just curious, what were the results in terms of sound and performance in the modifications you did?

• shrubitup

Posted October 19, 2009 - 02:46 PM

Now that's some carnage. Good thing it wasn't an expensive aftermarket can. Either way, I'm sure either Yamaha an aftermarket would've said the packing should have been changed more frequently. :bonk:

Note: I'm not saying you should have but I bet a manufacturer would.

• TheHarp

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Just curious, what were the results in terms of sound and performance in the modifications you did?

Hard to say...I've started it up and took a spin around the neighborhood, but haven't opened it up yet. It sounds about the same, maybe a little more bark to it. I could've gutted the can a lot more, but didn't want it to be too loud as I ride it sometimes at supermoto tracks that have sound restrictions.

• TheHarp

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:36 PM

Now that's some carnage. Good thing it wasn't an expensive aftermarket can. Either way, I'm sure either Yamaha an aftermarket would've said the packing should have been changed more frequently. :bonk:

Note: I'm not saying you should have but I bet a manufacturer would.

No doubt about it...there wasn't much packing left. That said, I'm not sure how much blew out when the cap blew off.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.