Gas tank - White or Natural?

10 replies to this topic
  • rkwfxd1

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:55 AM

OK guys I am definately getting a larger tank. I have searched and read a lot and I have decided that for me I want the Clarke with the screw on cap. Now I just have to decide between white or natural.

Opinions?

Does the white turn yellow over time?

Thanks.

• panaman

Posted October 19, 2009 - 05:36 AM

is black an option?

• Chas_M

Posted October 19, 2009 - 05:43 AM

is black an option?

???Good Answer! :bonk:

• rkwfxd1

Posted October 19, 2009 - 11:47 AM

is black an option?

Black is available but it is not an option for me as I do not want black. I tried to make that clear in my original post but clearly I failed.

Thank you for your input but I am looking for opinions between white and neutral.

• BigBelly

Posted October 19, 2009 - 02:16 PM

I have an '07 and have the Natrual IMS 3.1 and have had it for about a year. I have very slight yellowing around the gas cap but I think that is from a bit of spillage when totally full. The seal on my gas cap could be better! Overall, I am very happy with it and would buy another in a flash. I'd get the same color too, it makes it so much easier to see your fuel level. My vote for ya would be the IMS in Natrual.

Good luck. OOPS, didn't read the Clarke part, sorry. I have heard very good reports on them though!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 19, 2009 - 02:37 PM

I have an '07 and have the Natrual IMS 3.1 and have had it for about a year. I have very slight yellowing around the gas cap but I think that is from a bit of spillage when totally full. The seal on my gas cap could be better! Overall, I am very happy with it and would buy another in a flash. I'd get the same color too, it makes it so much easier to see your fuel level. My vote for ya would be the IMS in Natrual.

Good luck. OOPS, didn't read the Clarke part, sorry. I have heard very good reports on them though!

I also have the IMS 3.1 in clear and like it a lot. Have had it for a year and a half with no yellowing that I can tell, but I will say that I don't normally store it with gas in it. I usually dump it back into a dump can just for this reason. Really, on the '07+ the shrouds cover so much of the tank anyway that if there is much color change it still won't look too bad. Although I've had great luck with the IMS, if I was to do it again I'd try the 3.6 Clarke also in clear. Something about paying more for a tank to start with, having to buy shrouds, and then having to buy graphics for those shrouds just pisses me off. At the end of the day, with the IMS you have 1/2 gal less capacity and end up paying well more than $100 for that after the shroud/graphics deal.

• rkwfxd1

Posted October 19, 2009 - 03:59 PM

Something about paying more for a tank to start with, having to buy shrouds, and then having to buy graphics for those shrouds just pisses me off. At the end of the day, with the IMS you have 1/2 gal less capacity and end up paying well more than $100 for that after the shroud/graphics deal.

Yea, this is pretty much why I decided to go with Clarke. I read a lot of great stuff about IMS right here in the WR forum but I searched a bit more and read just as many good things about Clarke. I like the utility of a natural/clear tank but the overall looks of the white. I am surprised to hear of the natural turning a bit yellow.

• tribalbc

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:41 PM

Another vote for natural just for the ability to see how much gas is in your tank. My IMS is 2 seasons old and has a little discloration here and there but no biggie.

• Strattos

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:41 PM

I thought natural and white were the same things?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted October 19, 2009 - 09:07 PM

I thought natural and white were the same things?

Natural is more like a thick milk jug whereas white is more opaque. You may still be able to see the fuel level with white on some bikes, but it's tough.

• willy_fitz

Posted October 20, 2009 - 12:46 AM

Go with the Natural. Very easy to see fuel level.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.