Who has modified their WR suspension?

7 replies to this topic
  • Jerry57

Posted March 31, 2001 - 02:06 PM

HI,
Has anyone changed springs, revalved or both. I want to talk to anyone who has.

I just bought a '00 WR400. Even after backing off all the compression setting to minimum it's still to stiff for an old guy like me. I'm looking for a plush ride through the rough rocks and whoops of SW Idaho.

If you have softened you suspension let me know what changes you made, how you ride and how you like the result of your work and expense.

Jerry

------------------
Jerry

• Bill

Posted March 31, 2001 - 02:34 PM

Jerry,

Do a search using the user name "Bryan Bosch" or the post, "Where to get my forks/shock re-worked?"

You will get some recommendations for different suspension tuners in the US.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

• MN_Kevin

Posted March 31, 2001 - 03:31 PM

I'd skip Pro Action on the forks. Don't believe their advertisements. Follow Bill's advice.

• Taffy

Posted April 01, 2001 - 03:14 AM

the 98 & 99 models came with softer springs both front & rear. i wouldn't think you'll have any trouble getting them off the lads on this site if you want them.

Taffy

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jerry57

Posted April 01, 2001 - 06:19 AM

Thanks Taffy!

Does anyone have OEM springs for 98 or 99 WR400FM that they want to sell?

If so do you know the spring rates for them?

Jerry

------------------
Old Guy on WR400F following the KX_kid through the harrowing desert of Idaho at breakneck speed.

• Taffy

Posted April 01, 2001 - 09:08 PM

the fronts were .42 & the rear springs are 4.8.

Taffy

• mcarp

Posted April 01, 2001 - 03:54 PM

Jerry, I too thought the fork was a little harsh for rocks/woods. I had MX-tech revalve them last month--can't say enogh about how this improved handling. The bike feels much lighter. Big hits don't deflect the front end anymore. I ride 75% Eastern trails, 25% light MX (no big jumps).

My advice is you choose to revalve is to choose a shop that does both MX and trail setups. The pure MX shops won't know what you need.

BTW, I did not require new springs on my '00. I'm 195 + gear+ mud buildup :)

If you're a suspension idiot like me, have them revalved. Otherwise search on posts by James Dean, he has modified his shim stack (similar to what a shop would do) to remove some mid-range harshness.

Good luck

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted April 01, 2001 - 11:01 PM

Hi Jerry, I am also in the over 50s trail riding group and faced the same problem. My first fix was to change to Redline "Like Water" fork oil. This actually worked well. Over the Chrismas break -too hot to ride here- I took out the bottom shim stack and opened up the compression adjustment valve. didn't do what I wanted so I removed 5 of the 11 shims from the stacks. I also replaced the stopper washer with a small shim that had a smaller outside diameter, just enough to protect the alloy body- this allows a larger peak flow. The effect is to let the forks soak up the small hard hits that would ortherwise deflect them and jar our old bodies. I didn't touch the other stacks so bottoming isn't really a problem. The local Rece-tech guy does something similar for older riders. The Racetech valves will give enough adjustment to get close to my set-up but these youngsters really don't understand what soft damping means so be fussy if you get a shop to help. Regards from Harry

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.