Red hot pipe

3 replies to this topic
  • Hedgehog

Posted April 19, 2003 - 09:00 AM

After changing my oil the other evenong in my garage I started my bike and noticed the pipe started to get a nice red hot glow. All was well with the oil change so I asked my brother who rides an 02 YZ 426 if his pipe did this. His answer was no. I still am running the stock jetting with everything uncorked and after reading several posts I think I may be running a little lean and that is why the high heat. If anyone can confirm my suspicions that would be great. Or if the pipe turning that hot is normal, let me know. Thanks! :) '02 WR426 uncorked exhaust, stock jetting, grey wire, no airbox lid

• tctrailrider

Posted April 19, 2003 - 11:09 AM

Hedgehog,
Uncorked and stock jetting you probably are lean. As for the glowing headpipe this is very common if you let the bike idle very long.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foursmoke

Posted April 19, 2003 - 11:14 AM

The pipe turning red is normal and will be more noticeable in low lighting. These bikes are shipped from factory jetted very lean all corked up and if you remove snorkle and baffle you are going to make this condition worse. You should consider rejetting very soon or reinstall snorkle and baffle untill you can rejet. :)

• wyohorse

Posted April 19, 2003 - 11:29 AM

The pipe on my 426 will glow for several inches just outside the header in low light conditions at idle too. This glowing was not effected by the fairly restrictive GYT-R insert. Don't forget that the extent to which you need rejetting will be influenced by your riding altitude.
:)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.