6 replies to this topic
  • Scott_F

Posted June 29, 2000 - 05:29 PM

Will trade a good tank for a bad one.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 06, 2000 - 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Scott F:
Will trade a good tank for a bad one.

Looking for a stock YZ426 gas tank. Mine cracked in two places. Do you know of one?
Thanks,
Phil
Dallas
palanier@aol.com

• 426_Monster

Posted September 06, 2000 - 09:35 PM

Hi Phil
Take the tank to anybody that does plastic welding. If they know what they are doing it will be as good as new
Hope this helps!!!!

Greetings from South Africa
Dreyer

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 07, 2000 - 04:45 AM

Phil,

Have you ever done this yourself? Is it hard? Can you buy kits?

Nick

• ETS

Posted September 07, 2000 - 09:44 PM

You can buy gas tank repair kits at about any napa or other good auto parts store. The problem is they arent pretty. I used one on a plastic snowmobile tank two seasons ago and it still holds gas great. I was installing a heat exchanger and my drill bit poked the gas tank. To top it off I did it twice before I realized what was going on. Opps, hate to admit that one. Anyway the repair kits are epoxy that sets off and a lot of heat is given off when the catalyst is mixed in. The stuff is also black so it would look awful unless you just want to fix it for the season until you find a good used one. I'd be leary what a plastic weld would look like also, but I'm picky about my bike. Good Luck.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 09, 2000 - 10:59 AM

I purchased Plasti weld from a local dealer. I used a model airplane iron and a soldering iron to melt it into the tank. I used the airplane iron to smooth the weld when I was finished. It is Yamaha blue and looks pretty good. Actually compared to $200 for a new tank it looks really good. It seems to work very well too. I'll be riding tomorrow to find out if it will really hold up.

Nick

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted September 10, 2000 - 12:32 PM

Don't waste your time with PlastI weld (at least for gas tanks). It does not withstand gasoline. I read on another site that polyetholyne (which is what our plastic is made of) can be melted and bonded back together. I used a peice of an old fender and melted in into my gas tank. If you melt it all of the way through it will be like new. You can repair all of your plastic this way.

Nick

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.