MXA 426 Clutch Problem Article

4 replies to this topic
  • okie426

Posted June 29, 2000 - 11:46 AM

After reading an article in Motocross Action magazine concerning 50 bad clutch baskets that made it into the 2000 426s, I checked with my dealer to see if mine was one of those 50. I pulled my clutch and it looks like what the article explained. He didn't know anything about it and said he would check on it.

Does anyone have any info further than the MXA article, like affected motor serial numbers or an official Yamaha notice?

I appreciate any help.

Posted June 29, 2000 - 07:24 PM

My clutch was acting up. The release was totally inconsistent, and it was easy to stall because the clutch would dump all at once. My Yamaha dealer just ordered one for me today. It comes with new springs too. My vin number fell into the range of affected units. They warrantied the parts, but no labor, but I'm not complaining. You should have them run your serial number with a Yamaha warranty tech to see if you are a candidate for the new basket.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kevin_in_New_Hampshire

Posted July 01, 2000 - 07:16 AM

If your dealer will cover the parts, but not the labor, do the work yourself. If you haven't done it before, IT IS wicked simple. Just be sure you soak your friction plates in oil prioe to assembly if those are new as well.

------------------
99 WR, all YZ mods, de-octopused, OEM YZ tank and seat, jetting by Clark, got forked by Pro Action.
AMA, NETRA

For clarification: WE'LL be having a KICK ASS time in Moab!! Right Mitch?!!

• OBRIAN

Posted July 03, 2000 - 11:54 AM

Originally posted by 494:
My clutch was acting up. The release was totally inconsistent, and it was easy to stall because the clutch would dump all at once. My Yamaha dealer just ordered one for me today. It comes with new springs too. My vin number fell into the range of affected units. They warrantied the parts, but no labor, but I'm not complaining. You should have them run your serial number with a Yamaha warranty tech to see if you are a candidate for the new basket.

• STLmxracer

Posted July 07, 2000 - 04:27 AM

What month was the MXA article in & does any one know the Specifics from Yamaha? VIN # or bulletin/warranty notice. Yamaha used to send out the details on Factory set up/ tips to YZ owners.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.