Yamaha

Overall width of quads??

4 replies to this topic
  • Thumpin_426

Posted June 28, 2008 - 05:55 PM

Just bought a new race quad for my wife and a few people told me to either buy extended axles or wheel spacers. I bought the wheel spacers because they were much cheaper. Also, the reveiws say they are pretty good. The front widened by 3" and the rear by 5". The spacers are made by DuraBlue. I guess they are the standard spacers, nothing too dramatic. Anyway, now the rear overall width is about 2-3" wider than the front width. Is this right or should the front be a little wider?? I race harescrambles (on two wheels) and my wife just upgraded her quad to this so she could start racing. I don't want to send her out there with the wrong set-up........Is it right to have the rear wider than the front???:bonk:

Thanks for any help!!

• nzed

Posted June 29, 2008 - 11:14 AM

Hi, Yep, it is totally fine to hav the rear wider then the front. i widened mine by 4 in the front and 6 in the back and it's sweet as. The key is, what ever you make the front wider by, you must make the rear the same or more. She'l be right..!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hstead

Posted June 29, 2008 - 12:39 PM

I have raced quads for a few years now and just sold mine this week when I switched back to 2 wheels.

What type of racing is she doing? If it is harescrambles with you, she needs to stay narrow, like around 46" or so. If she is going to MX, she needs to be around 50".

A quad handles best when the front and back are nearly the same width. If the rear is too much wider, it will not handle and turn as well.

Wheel spacers are OK, but the entire front end changes if you add wheel spacers. By changes, I am talking about caster angles and the way it turns, as well as how the suspension works.

Most of it depends on how fast she is going to go etc. It may be okay, but if she is fast enough to compete with C level riders and is jumping more than 25' doubles, I would never run spacers.

• blasterkid52

Posted June 29, 2008 - 01:30 PM

i would leave the stock width if you were doing trails and harescrambles
now for mx, i would never do spacers. once your going 10 feet+ air the spacers can snap. also it puts a great amount of stress on the spindles.
rocky mountain atv has the gforce extended axle for 199. maybe you were looking for axles in the wrong places.

also what quad is this?

• brainwashed

Posted July 18, 2008 - 06:47 AM

I have a +2 inch A-arms and and extended Lonestar axle. The spacers are okay to see if your can make the use of the extra width, but I would advise spending the money for the real thing soon.

The spacers can fail, and they change the way the the front end reacts to impacts. This means that the can introduce more 'bump steer' and it's harder to correct for the terrain at speed, I think that the the front spacers make the bike feel twitchy. This is a reason why Can-Am has gone to great lengths to mount their front hubs inside the front wheel. Having the hubs closer to the wheel center line makes the steering more predictable. Whereas adding spacers increases the hub to wheel center distance giving the terrain more leverage to effect the steering of your wheels that you will need to manually correct for. Front spacers give you turning stability at the cost of high speed stability due to steering deflection and bump steer and adding a breakable component.

If you appreciate the extra width and are hesitant to spend the money (and who isn't with the current economy), do the front a-arms first and leave the rear spacers on until you can afford the rear axle. Rocky Mountain has good deals on their brand of rear axle and I have heard nothing but good things about it.

Think about a Leager (or other brand I just own the Leager package) A-arm long travel kit with +2 width kit and Elka long travel shocks and longer brake lines. On the track it's night and day from stock suspension with spacers.

If your going to do hare scrambles or fast off road stuff, the stock width is ideal. I am currently installing a narrower width front end and taking my rear axle back down to stock width for the trails as we are not a the track as much as we had planned.

You also want the front and rear close to the same width, but I have met people who say that if anything the front should be wider for the woods. I have met guys that run the front wider than the rear in the woods. +.5 width front with a stock rear. nothing radically different but the front is a hair wider. Lonestar now makes a stock width Excalibur adjustable width axle that can be brought down to narrower than stock. This makes sense to me for fast XC racing. If the front clears the trees then you know the back will and this allows the rider to focus on the front of the quad and look up the trail farther at speed. In a fast corner when entering the apex under braking the front will stay planted but you might bicycle the rear and have it go up onto one tire slightly. You don't feel it but in pictures you can see it happening and it doesn't affect your corner speed, but does give you good clearance. Then under power the rear will set back down after the corner and you get full power applied to the ground. Keep in mind that this is for the woods. For an open MX track wider is better. :bonk:

A +.5" front end with a stock width rear is the setup that I am going to go to and it makes sense to me, but I've yet to ride it I'm waiting for my Houser +.5 front end to arrive. Hopefully it's money well spent. We will see.

Good luck and have fun regardless of what you decide. :bonk:

:bonk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.