What gearing to run?

4 replies to this topic
  • 4banger

Posted June 27, 2000 - 08:48 AM

I'm new here and have just purchased a 98yz400. The bike is stock and needs chain and sprockets. I am going to put on an Oring chain and Fredette guide, but wondered if any of you have any suggestions on what sprockets to get. It has 14/49 on it now and I race hare scrambles in the tennessee area. It seems like going up on the rear a couple would help, but I would like some input from other yz owners. Thanks in advance.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted June 27, 2000 - 09:32 PM

I run 14X51 on my '98 for everything from desert to MX. I'm happy with it. I think you'll like it :-)

------------------
Chris in the Mojave
'98 YZ400F

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4banger

Posted June 28, 2000 - 08:35 AM

Thanks Chris.

Mark

Posted June 29, 2000 - 07:19 PM

I have had excellent results running 15/53 gearing. I ran it on my 98 400, and I have it on my 426. With alum. sprokets and oring chain, it lasts a long time. I have had the best luck with Afam or Renthal sprockets and Regina chain.

• 4banger

Posted June 29, 2000 - 07:46 PM

Why go to 15? Less wear? BTW, thanks for the input. I am going to order steel sprockets, a chain guide, and an oring chain next week and I wanted to get the right setup.

I did the math and the 14/49 and the 15/53 are the same ratio at 3.5 . I think 14/51 or 14/52 will help out in slow technical stuff. I have til next monday to decide though.

[This message has been edited by 4banger (edited 06-29-2000).]

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.