What wrench do you use for steering stem ring nut?

5 replies to this topic
  • JBM

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:01 PM

What do you use and where can I get one? I'd like to have the Yamaha one or one like since you can put a torque wrench on it, but the dealership I checked with doesn't have any tools.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 20, 2000 - 09:36 PM

I tried to find one also, but couldn't. I just used a pipe wrench. If you are not installing new bearings you do not need to torque the nut then loosen it back off like the book says. Just tighten it until it feels tight. I think its only supposed to be about thirty pounds anyways.

Nick

• Thumper448

Posted June 24, 2000 - 05:05 PM

JBM,

Your dealer should be able to order the tool with the part number that should be available in your owner/service manual. That is how I got mine.

Stace

------------------
Pretty fly for a fat guy!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt_Porritt

Posted June 24, 2000 - 06:47 PM

Its avail through yur Yamaha dealer.
Part number YM-33975 or 90890-01403.
Tighten to 38 NM (3.8m/kg) (27 ft/lb)
Loosen one turn then retighten to 7NM (0.7m/kg) (5.1 ft/lb)

This is to seat the bearing square (1st time isn't that important) and the 2nd is to tension it.
Is should be not much more than finger tight, and when you front wheel is off the ground and straight, a little tap on the end of the handlebar should make it turn to the stop or just before stops)

------------------
--
**Ride it like you Stole it!**
Matt Porritt
99 YZ400F
Rubber Chicken Racing

• JBM

Posted June 26, 2000 - 05:16 AM

Thanks fellas,
I found an old Kawasaki wrench that works ok. It just has a handle on it though so I can't get a torque wrench on it. Maybe by the next time I need one, I'll get the Yamaha wrench ordered.

• Concho

Posted June 29, 2000 - 06:55 AM

I use a winged wrench that I bought at a bicycle shop. It works great. Check out the tools section at a good local bike shop and you should find one.

Concho

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.