Honda

'06 TRX 450 idle problems

8 replies to this topic
  • jbird710

Posted 06 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

I have a friend who has a '06 TRX 450 and he says he can't get it to idle properly. The quad is completely stock and keep in mind he's not mechanically inclined. From his description, it almost sounds like the bike is too lean as he says it will idle fine with the choke on. Sounds to me like either the pilot circuit is clogged or it needs the next size jet. I haven't worked on one of these so I was hoping to get some info from someone who has.

1.) Has anyone esle had a problem with the stock configuration being too lean or idle issues? This quad is completely stock.

2.) Does anyone know what the stock size pilot and main jets are?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hoblick440ex

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

i have 2 friends with them that have similar problems.
seems to be a common problem with them.

my one friend has an 04, and the cam broke in his. wasnt getting oil to the top of the motor. ****ed the cam up. flat spots on it. and also ****ed the rocker up. the needle bearing was ovaled. he bought an HRC kit and a new rocker assembly. and rode it a while. now it wont stay running.

my other friend has an 06 wiht idle issues and its stock.

• mordini2005

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

i had a similiar problem with my 06 trx 450r it sat about a month and i started it once the whole time. changed the gas and it would only idle with the choke on . someone said to clean the pilot jet and it worked perfectly hope that helps

• jbird710

Posted 07 January 2007 - 05:33 PM

i had a similiar problem with my 06 trx 450r it sat about a month and i started it once the whole time. changed the gas and it would only idle with the choke on . someone said to clean the pilot jet and it worked perfectly hope that helps

This is what I'm expecting more than anything. The quad doesn't get used much and, knowing him, he's probably running the cheapest gas he can find in it. Thanks.

• AEGixxer

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:25 PM

try to richen the fuel screw a little maybe an eighth of a turn an see what that does. honda has to ship the quads lean from the fatory in order to pass all the stupid emission laws that the us and ca have put in place. one size up ont the pilot might help too

• jbird710

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:29 AM

try to richen the fuel screw a little maybe an eighth of a turn an see what that does. honda has to ship the quads lean from the fatory in order to pass all the stupid emission laws that the us and ca have put in place. one size up ont the pilot might help too

You would happen to know what the stock pilot size is would you?

Thanks

• garandman

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

[COLOR="Red"]I have a friend [/COLOR]who has a '06 TRX 450 and he says he can't get it to idle properly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

First off, admit that its YOU that has the quad.

Its the first step to a solution.

:bonk:

• Fred823B

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

Probably the best advice here.

The stock pilot is probably a 42.

• jbird710

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

First off, admit that its YOU that has the quad.

Its the first step to a solution.

:bonk:

Actually, no, it does belong to a friend and, even though I prefer two wheels, I'm not a quad hater/basher. I'm trying to get him out riding more and he always comes up with excuses; this one is something I can do something about.:bonk:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Honda

which trx250r to get? opinions by xs850triple

ATV/UTV   Make/Model Specific   Sport ATV
  • 6 replies
Forums
Photo
Honda

Decompresser receiver 28287-HCO-OOO for 1987 trx250x by 4trx

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Honda

New to a TRX 400 by JDubya381

• 12 replies
Forums
Photo
Honda

400ex stripping valve cover bolts by C0leTrain

• 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Honda

performance tranny by hangtownjj

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

Register Close
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.