DSP carbon fiber air box

3 replies to this topic
  • lewichris

Posted April 17, 2003 - 09:53 AM

Hello anyone who has this?. I just got one off of ebay. Is the airbox all one piece or is there more pieces to it?. The pic i bought it from looked like it was missing the part that goes into the carb. What can you all tell me about these and what they can do for your bike.

Thank you :)

• mmbasa

Posted April 17, 2003 - 06:11 PM

I should be all one piece. Use the part off the stock airbox to connect the two. The biggest benefit would have to be the reduction in weight. I have also heard that they improve airflow. I went to the FMF Sratch and Dent Sale and they were selling them for $70. Wish I had some cash, I could have made a killing on EBay.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SFO

Posted April 17, 2003 - 09:11 PM

there was a model that was just the box and you bolt your oem carb to airbox boot to it and also a model that had the carbon fiber airboot as well.

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 17, 2003 - 11:27 PM

I have one. The piece you are missing is the "Velocity Stack".

The only thing you gained/lost, IMHO is weight. The velocity stack is the key. It provides better air flow at higher rpm's (and hence higher air speeds).

Stick in a JamesNow/Powernow and you should be all set.

MXA/DirtRider did a test of all these goodies for a YZ426. The article stated a loss of bottom end but an increase in top end.

>> Stick in a JamesNow/Powernow and you should be all set.

As a caveat, the carbon fibre is known to let dirt through, and jetting changes are more of a b*tch. You have to remove the subframe to get the carb off. NOTE: I do have the velocity stack, so you may not have an issue w/ carb access like I do.

Also, you MUST remove your OEM frame mounted hot start bypass. The box size requires that teeny, tiny bit of extra room. You have to find another place for it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.