Minor YZ/WR maintenece issue (spark plug)

1 reply to this topic
  • Airastro

Posted June 16, 2000 - 01:17 PM

Now that we all own four strokes changing spark plugs is almost a thing of the past. I adjusted my valves the other day and in doing so I removed the spark plug. I noticed that the outside and threads of the spark plug were wet and showing signs of corrosion. I am sure this came from washing the bike, and I dont use a prussure washer. My bike only has about 20 hrs on it so it is fairly new. I guess the easy way to remedy this is to remove the spark plug cap and spray a little WD-40 down the hole to displace the water. This obviously is not a major deal, as long as the corrosion doesnt get to bad and fuse the plug to the head, I just wanted to inform members of my findings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tim

Posted June 19, 2000 - 06:09 AM

Yeah, I found the same thing. This is probably why they tell you to start up the engine and let it warm up for several minutes before putting it away. I would not worry too much about the plug corroding to the aluminum head, I have always used the old trick of putting a drop of oil on the spark plug threads before reinstalling the plug.
See ya

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.