Yamaha

Raptor 700 horsepower ?

15 replies to this topic
  • TuningFork426

Posted November 22, 2006 - 11:47 PM

:bonk: Some lunatic told my friend that the new raptor 700 has 75hp-stock,
is this the biggest pile of crap lie or what ?

Does anyone know the real numbers ?

• jc3177

Posted November 23, 2006 - 12:08 AM

A little over 40 stock. With a pipe and air intake about 50.

• NYMXer

Posted November 23, 2006 - 05:21 AM

I would think, based on drag race results, that the Raptor 700 is about the same as YFZ450's in terms of HP. I think it is the extra weight that slows the Raptor down. Then again, the Raptor isn't a race quad and the YFZ is. :bonk:

• TuningFork426

Posted November 23, 2006 - 01:09 PM

Ok 40hp stock is much more believable.

• sniperd

Posted November 23, 2006 - 02:08 PM

75 with a turbo

• Crf230 Rider

Posted November 23, 2006 - 02:11 PM

I thought it was atleast 50. I'm quite surprised by only 40hp, the Grizzly 700 is rated at 46.5 hp. There's no way the Grizz would have a stronger motor. It's not like the new Grizz has a completely different engine than the Raptor either, from what I know the Grizz has the Raptor engine, just detuned to be more friendly with the Ultra-Matic Transmission. I just can't see it being the extra weight that makes the Grizz so much slower than the Raptor, but yet it has even more hp, and torque I'd imagine.

Or is it that the Grizzly is measured from the crank and the Raptor at the RW?

• TuningFork426

Posted November 23, 2006 - 05:21 PM

I thought it was atleast 50. I'm quite surprised by only 40hp, the Grizzly 700 is rated at 46.5 hp. There's no way the Grizz would have a stronger motor. It's not like the new Grizz has a completely different engine than the Raptor either, from what I know the Grizz has the Raptor engine, just detuned to be more friendly with the Ultra-Matic Transmission. I just can't see it being the extra weight that makes the Grizz so much slower than the Raptor, but yet it has even more hp, and torque I'd imagine.

Or is it that the Grizzly is measured from the crank and the Raptor at the RW?

i think 40 would be at the wheels

• Octane250F

Posted November 24, 2006 - 11:44 AM

The Raptor 700R is 40 hp stock. Anyone who thinks that its 75 hp is living in fantasy land.
One possible reason why the Grizz is rated at slightly more power is the tranny. The Grizz has a CVT, which is a much more efficient tranny than a manual tranny.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dunatic564

Posted November 25, 2006 - 08:50 PM

"The Grizz has a CVT, which is a much more efficient tranny than a manual tranny."

How is a CVT more efficient than a manual? I would think if anything a CVT would slip a little on the dyno and would be lower if anything. One other question I have is where is the Grizz "Rated" at more HP, is Yamaha rating it? I have never seen any horsepower #'s on Yamaha's web site. Maybe i'm miss/uninformed. :bonk: 40 sounds about right.

• Octane250F

Posted November 26, 2006 - 04:06 PM

Simple. With a manual tranny the engine rpms going up and down all the time, but with a CVT when you hit it wide-open the clutches keep the engine in the heart of it's powerband.
Also, a CVT tranny always gives you the perfect gear ratio for the given situation. A lot of times with a manual tranny you are somewhat inbetween gears.

• Crf230 Rider

Posted November 27, 2006 - 05:16 AM

I've read that on the highlifter forums and that was from Yamaha.

• shadowSVT

Posted January 04, 2007 - 07:05 PM

I saw a dyno sheet somewhere, can't remember where, but it put the 07 700 at 46 hp.

• NYMXer

Posted January 05, 2007 - 06:05 AM

I can only offer racing input and seat of the pants dyno input (I rode many Raptors).........

The 700 Raptor has one of the broadest powerbands of any ATV out there. It pulls well from idle to a decent top end. I think it has the HP and torque of a YFZ but since it carries a lot of extra weight, it's performance suffers. The Raptor's biggest gripe for me is the suspension. The new GYTR version has the reservoir shocks and that helps the ride and the landings.
The Raptor is a little top heavy too and I thing the GYTR suspension might help take away some of that 'tippy' feeling. Most people will be as fast on the trails on either a YFZ or Raptor. On the track, they don't compare and weren't meant to. :bonk:

• Flaminchiten1967

Posted January 05, 2007 - 08:49 AM

Simple. With a manual tranny the engine rpms going up and down all the time, but with a CVT when you hit it wide-open the clutches keep the engine in the heart of it's powerband.
Also, a CVT tranny always gives you the perfect gear ratio for the given situation. A lot of times with a manual tranny you are somewhat inbetween gears.

I don't think this would affect peak hp numbers it may make a better average hp if what you say is true, but peak hp would not be affected by this.

If all your looking at is the peak it doesn't matter if the tranny keeps it in the heart of the powerband longer cause your only looking at a small window where the peak occurs.

My friends Raptor really woke up with exhaust, intake, and tuner.

• gordonswellfoxrider

Posted July 17, 2008 - 11:36 AM

Actually the raptor 700 has more HP than the yfz but the trannys are a lot different. The raptor has longer gears than the yfz making the yfz faster on the start. If you pin both quads, in the end the raptor will be about 1 to 2 lengths faster. And the griz and the rap have totally differnt engines. The griz has very low gears to be rugged and climb rocks that the only reason it has more HP. And plus more horse power doesn't actually mean more speed.

• briggzie09

Posted July 17, 2008 - 07:20 PM

it is 41hp.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.