Straighting Sub Frame, Tips needed...

4 replies to this topic
  • Dodger

Posted April 17, 2003 - 06:31 AM

So what's the consensus on the best way to re-align the sub frame?? Mines not just a simple tweak where you can shove a bar in and just leverage it. I'm 99% sure mine happened on a fast tank slapping high side, so the whole thing just sits to the right as you look from the back, it still sits level.

I've heard of just laying the bike over, but then what. Jump on it? Do you support it with something?? I'm mainly concerned with keeping the span between the rails even. Should I leave the seat on to keep the spacing?? Just need some ideas.......

Dodger :) :D

• msgbean

Posted April 17, 2003 - 08:15 AM

You shouldn't have to worry about the spacing because there is a cross member at that point. Take the seat and side panels off, lay the bike on it side. Put a piece of wood or something under the top of the tire to support the bike from rocking. Put your weight on it with your foot and gently hop on it until you feel it move. Make sure you check it often so that you don't bend it the other way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oRGie

Posted April 17, 2003 - 08:24 AM

I did mine with a big bar, but it was fairly simple straigtening out. I would do it with the seat on or make up a spacer in place of the seat, only loosely bolted up tho and the exhaust loosely bolted up otherwise that might be a nightmare to get on afterwards.. trial and error with a bar I reckon, dont like the idea of laying the bike over and jumping up and down on it.. :-)

Actually found it easy to bend once I had slackened off the bolts holding the silencer on.. (I did mine with the seat off) good luck...

• sparks426

Posted April 17, 2003 - 08:42 AM

Something I've used before is a big pipe wrench (like an 18" or 24"), which is not necessarily something everyone has access to. I opened the jaw up as much as possible, then put the subframe in between the bars. I would put the front of the jaw as close as possible to the bend, and then apply pressure in the direction I wanted to bend it. As long as the subframe is not kinked at all something like this works great.

• Motorod

Posted April 17, 2003 - 09:02 AM

Go back to the place you did the High side. Procede in the oppisite direction. Do another fast tank slapping high side on the oppisite side. :D Be carfully out there. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.