should I get the YZ or the XR?

2 replies to this topic
  • skullman

Posted June 15, 2000 - 02:18 PM

I have been trying to decide whether I would have more fun riding a 99YZ400 or a 99XR400. I know they are for two different applications but the yz has had the front suspension revalved to take out the midstroke harshness and has been geared down on the rear sprocket so that it now feels like it could be ridden slower and feels plusher. The YZ seems to run awfully hot though and I even noticed that the radiator cover on one side was melted and dripping on the header pipe- (easily fixed with a pair of nippers). I guess everyone knows the XR 400 would make a good playbike/trailbike but the YZ makes more power and has better suspension and geared down might be more fun to ride. The Honda seat looks more substantial and easier for longer rides and has no problems with heating up on trail. I plan to use a bike mainly for trailriding , playriding and maybe some hare scrambles or light enduro riding. Let me know what you think. The YZ might even get me interested in Moto. I am a 40 year old intermediate rider. I got a gold medal in an ISDE qualifier 10 years ago when I last did any serious riding. I want to have some fun and get back into the sport. Both bikes are in similarly excellent shape with the Yamaha priced at $4700 and the Honda at $4000.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kris_Stratton

Posted June 16, 2000 - 02:18 AM

The YZ may not handle quite as good as the XR in really tight conditions but that is all the XR has on the YZ. Power is not comparable. The YZ will blow the doors off the XR. If you go MX at all the YZ will outpreform the XR. Sounds like the YZ is probably jetted lean. I would not buy the XR unless you plan on sitting down a lot. The XR is closer to the ground and has a much softer seat. If you look in the WR forum there is a lot of talk about XR vs. YZ. Good Luck

------------------
99 YZ400 Stock!!

• Tim

Posted June 16, 2000 - 04:47 AM

Greetings,
I also pondered the XR vs. YZ (briefly)........ I am not a full out MX'er either, but I could not shake the fact that if I wanted more, I could do just about anything on the YZ. I was worried that the XR would not have enough power for that one hairy hillclimb.... or the snap to get me over those set of doubles..... Now I don't have to worry about it. I have done about 80% trails riding with my 426 and would not trade it for anything out there (well maybe one of those KTM 520's, but that is a different story). I have ridden with one guy on a XR400 and it seemed like it struggled on some spots where my YZ426 shined. Deep sand, and places when you need some quick snap out of the engine.
Hope this helps.
Tim

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.