Removing Front Rim

5 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted April 16, 2003 - 04:34 PM

I am trying to remove my front rim.(2002 XR 650 L) I removed the 4 nuts from the axle holder then removed the speedo cable. I then tried to remove the axle by using a 17 mm socket. I cannot get it to budge. I am afraid of bending/stripping or just flat breaking something. What am doing wrong or am I just not putting enough strength behind it?

• Dutch

Posted April 16, 2003 - 04:46 PM

I just loosen the nuts on the one side so that the axle spins inside the fork leg supporting the axle. You do not need to remove that plate. Loosen with the wheel on the ground then put the bike on a stand :) to take the axle out. Get a breaker bar or a cheater to put on the ratchet and give it Hell! - just remember "Righty tighty Lefty loosey"

• TARFELE

Posted April 16, 2003 - 04:56 PM

I was trying with it on the stand and I was tooooo scared to try a cheater bar. Oh well I guess I will try it again

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sunnymex

Posted April 17, 2003 - 10:10 AM

tarfele,

You really just have to open a can of whoopass on that thing. The first time I changed mine, it was incredibly tough. I had to put a 6-ft bar on there to help me with leverage. Try a little wd-40 and let it sit on there for a little while. It should come loose eventually. Dont give in, you just have to show it who's the boss!!! :)

• Rokatt88

Posted April 17, 2003 - 11:56 AM

Or you could just FART on it! :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Just a little inside joke with my Pig Bruddah's :)

• Portland_650R

Posted April 17, 2003 - 02:15 PM

I'll bet product-liability issues had 'em torque it to 200 ft. lbs... or, maybe the dealer assembles 'em tight to ensure some future business... or ? That is one beefy bolt; if you twist that off, you're a Pig Rider indeed!
On that subject though - I tightened the oil filter cap bolts on my ol' 250 (same as the BRP) - and twisted the head off. Now Threebond is my friend.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.