Rear Shock info.

3 replies to this topic
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted April 16, 2003 - 03:52 PM

Where can I find a step by step guide to rebuild the rear shock on my 2000 WR400. Already have the new parts in hand.
I've rebuilt several forks with no problems. Rear shock can't be rocket science or is it? Reason for rebuild is that I noticed a little oil drool on the shaft, tells me it's time. :)

• endurodog

Posted April 16, 2003 - 05:52 PM

A rear shock rebuild requires you to refill with nitregon <sp> if you don't have the right equipment then you are gonna have problems. Very different than forks becuase of this

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BJE

Posted April 17, 2003 - 02:54 AM

As Endurodog points out, it is indeed a very different animal from forks. I WOULD STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU HAVE SOMEONE EXPERIENCED DO IT FOR YOU (AND PERHAPS HAVE YOU LOOK OVER THEIR SHOULDER AT THE SAME TIME)

If you haven't removed all the warning stickers off your bike yet, you'll note that there's one on the shock "WARNING PRESSURIZED". :)

The nitrogen gas pressure (I think it's about 200PSI) must be removed using the valve on the remote reservoir before disassembling the shock.

Another big difference is that there is a floating piston in the remote reservoir which separates the nitrogen gas charge from the shock oil. When re-building the shock, this must be re-postioned at the appropriate depth or the shock damping will not be correct.

You will also need to make sure you bleed all the air bubbles out when re-filling the oil side. This is particularly tricky with remote reservoir shocks.

In addition to all the above, you will need a nitrogen gas tank and the appropriate fitting to re-charge the unit.

Hope this helps!

• MN_Kevin

Posted April 17, 2003 - 04:00 AM

there was a link to a website that showed this step by step. I too do forks but not shocks.

I did make a copy of the procedure.

leave me a personal message here on TT w/ your e-mail address, and I'll send you what I have (or the link itself if I still have that).

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.