Need Brake Bleeding Instructions

4 replies to this topic
  • Dougie

Posted April 16, 2003 - 03:39 PM

OK, one task down (new linkage / swingarm bearings, which went in with no problem, thanks Kevin), one to go.

I would like to bleed my own breaks and add new fluid. Having never done this myself, can anyone point me to instructions for this procedure? Thanks, Doug

• YamaGeek

Posted April 16, 2003 - 03:48 PM

Dougie, fill it up with fluid and keep it full. Pump the brake pedal and while keeping it down loosen the bleeder on the calipre, mostly air should come out. Tighen the bleeder back up, important not to let up on the brake pedal, it will suck air back in. Then pump it up again, loosen bleeder, bleed until pedal bottoms, hold it, tighten bleeder. Start all over. Contiue this until you get nothing but fluid flowing out. Piece of cake.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LarryCO

Posted April 17, 2003 - 03:57 AM

It's elementary, Sir...

Simply cruise in about 3rd gear towards a series of whoops, making sure to standup and lean forward on your bike...just before the 1st whoop, grab a fistfull of brake lever. Guaranteed bleeding...

I'll show you how it's done in Moab here in a few... :)

• MOmilkman

Posted April 17, 2003 - 05:08 AM

Hey Dougie, Glad to see your still around! :) :D

I suppose the wife and kids are keeping you busy nowdays. Not enough time to TT anymore eh?

Just be careful about asking questions that might have been pondered 2-3 years ago. Yamakaze will come out of the bushes and shoot you down! Posted Image
Espically if your a TT vet! :D

• Lon13

Posted April 17, 2003 - 12:51 PM

Put a length of hose on the bleeder, and put a loop in it to keep bubbles from going back into the bleeder. Better yet, spring for a bleed tool that forces fluid up from the bottom(bleeder). Just make sure to watch your fluid level. :) :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.