Sticks and Stones...........

32 replies to this topic
  • WR450F_RDR

Posted April 16, 2003 - 02:00 PM

I am just getting over the second broken collarbone :) I have had in about 20 years of riding. I am just curious how many people on Thumper talk have broken bones from riding and what they were. What is the most common bone broken riding motorcycles?
Dont get the wrong idea, I know it is just part of the sport, you can get hurt serious in just about any sport. I am just posting this question as a curiosity.

• symbology

Posted April 16, 2003 - 02:11 PM

I started riding in 1984 and I trashed my ankle (needed surgery) in 1988 and broke my wrist in 1990. I stopped riding in 1991. That is until I started again with my WR450.

Allen

• treecop

Posted April 16, 2003 - 02:34 PM

Tweaked a lot of things, but luckily have only broke hand while riding. The doc called it a "boxers fracture" that occured riding in the Sawtooth Backcountry on the Chelan Ranger District in Washington State. It happens when you eject over a steep slope and decide you won't try to catch yourself, instead just ball up and say hail mary's. :)

Treecop
Bikes should be in tommorow :D

• Superbike

Posted April 16, 2003 - 02:44 PM

1 collar bone
4 fingers
4 ribs
1 ankle 2 times
My left big toe.
That is over about 10 years. That is not to bad. Sorry about your break. Get better and rip it up :) ---Mike

• NOMADAK

Posted April 16, 2003 - 02:49 PM

right wrist 3 times
left wrist once
left femur once
ribs once
right foot once
both ankles
spread over 28 years

hopefully I am done

• endurodog

Posted April 16, 2003 - 02:53 PM

This thread will go on for lots of post.

1) 2 Broken feet at the same time
2) Left foot broke
3) Left hand broke
4) Broke rib
5) Concusion
6) Contused bladder
7) Bunchs of stiches in left arm

I think the most common I hear of is broke feet and collar bones.

• SCJR

Posted April 16, 2003 - 03:27 PM

Well, let's see... I recently got a WR450, rode for about 3-4 hours, had a blast, but did not leave as planned by 3:30PM EST I was having too much fun and ended up breaking my foot, in 4 different places. I did get to avoid surgery which is great; no pins. But, every pasionate rider knows it's worth it. It's been 2 weeks since impact. I'm hoping to be back on my bike by mid May! I better stay put or else I get the Freddy Crooger foot. Yikes!...Per Dr. Steenlage in Lawrenceville, Ga. Ride careful guys.

• SCJR

Posted April 16, 2003 - 03:27 PM

Well, let's see... I recently got a WR450, rode for about 3-4 hours, had a blast, but did not leave as planned by 3:30PM EST I was having too much fun and ended up breaking my foot, in 4 different places. I did get to avoid surgery which is great; no pins. But, every pasionate rider knows it's worth it. It's been 2 weeks since impact. I'm hoping to be back on my bike by mid May! I better stay put or else I get the Freddy Crooger foot. Yikes!...Per Dr. Steenlage in Lawrenceville, Ga. Ride careful guys.

• MOmilkman

Posted April 16, 2003 - 03:42 PM

I got a scratch on my right bicep once. :) :D :D

• YamaGeek

Posted April 16, 2003 - 03:53 PM

Broken collar bone, punctured lung, slight concussion. Same accident.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foursmoke

Posted April 16, 2003 - 06:14 PM

Fractured tail bone- CR500 :)

• WRMike250f

Posted April 16, 2003 - 07:46 PM

Broken knee cap 1979 on a Honda Z-50
Broken Left ankle 1999 on a ATK 406
Broken left foot 2000 on a ATK 406
broken left elbow 2001 on a ATK 406
Shattered Right wrist...4 screws, 3 pins 2002 on a 01' WR250F

Seems like when I was younger I didn't break as many bones :) And I rode much more than now.

Wait a minute...look at that! I've broken a bone every year since 1999!!!!!!!!

Shhhhh! Don't tell my wife!

• DesertChris

Posted April 16, 2003 - 08:09 PM

I got an '88 TT 225 to replace my '84 XR 80 for my 15th birthday. I was so impressed with the "big" roost my new bike was throwing off that I ran into and over a very large rock in the trail I was on watching the roost. After about 45 minutes knocked out on the ground I woke up and made it back home to later find out I ruptured my spleen and had to spend a week in to hospital. I was back on the bike a week after I got out and a little more careful.

Now with the 426 all my attention is directed to where I am going and the roost (though much more spectacular) is for the unlucky people behind me to worry about.

• Merfman

Posted April 17, 2003 - 02:20 AM

1) 3 ribs
2) concussion
3) neck
4) left collarbone

Numerous long-since forgotten tweaks.. it comes with the
territory. No use dwelling on the injuries, it's the joy
I get riding that counts....

Merf

• ddialogue

Posted April 17, 2003 - 03:36 AM

I was a wild, dirt-biking teenager:

1984 -- shattered left foot in four places; two pins and a skin graph.
1985 -- broken left knee; top of tibia and ACL
1986 -- both wrists (two pins in left wrist), both arms, left shoulder and left pinky finger -- SAME accident!! 60mph endo
2001 -- impacted bone in left wrist

No injuries since. I still ride fast...just ride a lot smarter these days.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted April 17, 2003 - 03:50 AM

Well I hate to admit it but my only injury was in 1999 the day I picked up my then brand new WR400f.. I decided to ride the bike up the loading board as I had been doing for years. Little did I know about the stalling problems of WRs..I got the front wheel in the back of the pick up and it stalled!!!!!!!!!!!!! I put my foot out but that did no more good than holding your hand out to stop a bullet. Needless to say Down I went. I landed flat on my back with the bike on top of me.. I bruised my ribs.. The biggest damage was to my ego, because this happened in the bike shop parking lot when I was taking delivery of my new bike :)
Jim

• jwriott

Posted April 17, 2003 - 05:06 AM

2 Fractured tarsels on left foot - flipped forward down a hill and the bike caught the back of my foot/leg.

1 Broken Finger - Flipped over backwards riding wheelies in the street.

Broken Fibula, Tibula and crushed/dislocated my left ankle and had a plate with 9 screws in my leg for 2 years. I ate it off a big double jump and my ankle still gets very stiff.

Snapped right ACL - Hyper extended doing a 6' drop into a sink hole.

Celulosis on my right fibula 2 years ago from plowing into a tree at warp speed.

No broken bones in about 10 years though. :)

• SMD

Posted April 17, 2003 - 05:06 AM

Collar bone(twice same summer)
Several toes
Multiple fingers
Right wrist
Separated shoulder(chronic)
More skin than a drum factory
Its all good!! :)

• BrandonW

Posted April 17, 2003 - 05:19 AM

Last year I:
Broken Left Wrist
Hole in right foot from kick-starter
Broken Left Collarbone

(Kickstarter story: I was wearing a crappy old pair of hiking boots, and over time, starting the bike wore a hole in the sole of the shoe, One that if the conditions were just right, the kickstarter could wedge inside the shoe. One night I am cruising home on the highway, and the bike dies. I coast to the side of the road, and am slowly cycling the bike through, listening for weird sounds, or something to tell me why it died, when that kickstarter got wedged in my shoe. So, I was trying to wiggle my foot off, when I lost my balance and fell to the right. I could not get my foot off the starter before I hit the ground, and it drove the starter through the bottom of my foot. That was a big, nasty ugly injury, as the Dr. said that they could not sew it up, as that was certain infection.

Moral to my story, ALWAYS WEAR BOOTS THAT ARE UP TO THE TASK!

2002 was hard on me, but I still got in over 3,000 miles off off-road fun!

• Hick

Posted April 17, 2003 - 06:31 AM

What is the most common bone broken riding motorcycles?

I'd say any bone, or combination thereof, in the wrist, followed by collar bone.

Here's mine, in order:

Scapula (Shoulder Blade)
Clavicle
Scapula (same one)
A couple of ribs (same crash)
Wrist (Radius & Ulna, 1 screw, 1 pin)

I guess the Scaphoid (wrist bone) is the one you don't want to break.

The most painful injury I've had by far was the second time I broke my Scapula, it looked like I got hit by a truck. I had to get a Sonagram to check for internal bleeding, and I still have a big lump on my side from a latent hematoma.

Fun stuff! :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.