Track Riding

9 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 05, 2000 - 10:50 AM

I have serious problems with blisters after I ride on a track for more than 2-3 hours. I have tried different gloves and have replaced my grips several times, which does not seem to help the situation very much. Has anyone resolved this issue or have any recommendations on gloves, grips or my riding technique. I own a 99 YZ400 and have been riding for 16 months, 3 months on tracks.

• YZFWrench

Posted June 05, 2000 - 07:15 PM

Try gripping your fuel tank with your knees more. It lowers your center of gavity and gives your upper body a break- but you need to practice it alot for it to be 2nd nature.

Phil
'00 YZ426

• Tim

Posted June 06, 2000 - 07:07 AM

I also had that problem earlier this spring. I have been off of the dirt for about 10 years. My hands are finally starting to adjust. They should start to develop callass(sp?) on the blister areas. Obviously riding in wet conditions or with sweaty hands will make conditions worse. I always have a couple of dry sets of gloves on hand for when my hands get wet.
Hope this helps

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted June 07, 2000 - 07:15 PM

I used to have the same problem. Try scott grips that have only half the grip waffled and they are directional(arrow faces forward). Hold your hands away from the inside or this will cause blisters on the thumb knuckles. Concentrate on loosening grip. If you are getting blisters all the time at the base of each finger it is usually because you are holding on too tight. You have to practice relaxing, the pros do, it prevents blisters and arm pump.

• MotoGreg

Posted June 09, 2000 - 04:29 PM

Try Thor gloves, they have a smooth liner inside with no seams or edges. My buddy gets blisters every time he rides with different brands of gloves because he saves his Thor's for races (his hands are always fine with these gloves and so are mine). Also, make sure your gloves aren't loose, if they start to ball up in your palm you'll get blisters.

------------------
'99 WR400
'92 GSXR 7/11
Visit my photo album AT YOUR OWN RISK!! My photo album
Anyone here a sportbike fan also? Then visit us here at www.insanespeed.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CraigW

Posted June 12, 2000 - 05:33 AM

On long endurance races I used to tape my hands using adhesive Elastoplast tape . This worked to some degree although sometimes it would come loose and start bunching making the situation worse.

A second more successful option is this:
Buy yourself a set of cheap cycling gloves (the cut off finger type) and wear these under your normal gloves (obviously a bit of a problem if they are already tight - I buy slightly larger gloves to accomodate). The only small disadvantage is that your grips will feel slightly bigger although you soon get use to the sensation.

This works - every rider that has tried this trick is very happy with the result - no blisters.

Here in South Africa we have 2 very long offroad races - The 'Desert 1000'(km) and the 'Roof of Africa'(a 1000km of rocks and mountains - last year my race time over 2 days was 24hrs). In both races I had no blisters on my hands - all I have to do now is to find a cycling glove big enough to fit over my butt and my problems are over.

• DaveJ

Posted June 12, 2000 - 09:35 PM

Same problem here. Blisters on blisters. Often they would break open and of course get infected. My trick, for as odd as this sounds, is to rub Neosporin on the potential areas. This helps clear up any current sores and also keeps any new blisters (and calluses) from forming. I would think Vaseline would do the trick as well (and I know we all have plenty of that around). I wash my gloves after each ride, so I'm not sure what would happen if you let that stuff build up.

• skullman

Posted June 13, 2000 - 04:55 PM

CraigW, I am interested in hearing more about those african endurance races. What kind of bike do you rely on in such punishing events?

• CraigW

Posted June 14, 2000 - 03:31 AM

Our South African National Offroad calender comprises 7 races during the year. They range in distance from 400/500km (1 day event) to 1000km(2 day events). The Toyota Desert 1000 is held at end of June and the Roof of Africa (1000km) at the end of November each year. The latter 2 are the real tough ones. Ive done the Desert 1000 twice (1998/1999) on a KTM300 and the Roof of Africa once (1999) also on a KTM300. My first attempt of the Roof of Africa in 1997 was a real eye opener. I had never ridden a bike for so long (road or enduro). I bombed out after about 10.5 hrs on the first day, a mountain pass called Letele's Pass (40km) in Lesotho took me 4hrs to complete and just blew my mind. I was so tired at the bottom of the pass that I couldnt even ride down a smooth dirt road back to my service crew without stopping to rest. When I eventually got there I told them to load the bike on the back of the van , I was ##$%ed.

In 1999 I came back determined to finish which I did in 24hrs (lots of training later). I finished 34th overall of about 46 finishers of the original 120 starters. Just to give you an idea, the guy who finished second was Alfie Cox ( his record is 4th - 1999 and 3rd - 2000 in the Paris to Dakar race). We often have top European riders coming out to compete Heinz Kinegarder etc. and they battle to make the top 10. The winners race times are typically 18hrs - they really kick my butt.

The KTM300 is a great bike for this kind of race , very technical and rocky, fast mountain roads, the altitude varying from 1500m to Lethele's Pass at about 3000m above sea level. These is a web site for the 1999 race - I will find out its address and post it as there are some great photos of the riding terrain.

If you want a challenge come out and ride the race this year - its an experience you wont forget.

• CraigW

Posted June 14, 2000 - 03:36 AM

The website for the Roof of Africa race is 'roofofafrica.co.ls'

Check out the photos of the riding terrain.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.