brake fluid question???

16 replies to this topic
  • bakeyz426f

Posted October 16, 2009 - 03:30 PM

i had to remove the brakes on my bike and the fluid leaked out. im wondering what brake fluid to get. do i have to go to a dealer to get the brake fluid or can i use car brake fluid or something an automotive store would have? also do i need to bleed the brakes before refilling them? my bike is a wr426f that has yz426 front brakes.:bonk:

• YZEtc

Posted October 16, 2009 - 03:33 PM

DOT 4 fluid is what's recommended.

If fluid leaked out, odds are that, yes, you'll have to beed the system to make it work like it should.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 16, 2009 - 03:49 PM

do they sell dot 4 at an auto parts store you think or not?

• YZEtc

Posted October 16, 2009 - 04:00 PM

There's a good chance they do. :bonk:

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 16, 2009 - 04:40 PM

i went and picked up some dot four at the auto parts store. nothing special, it says its heavy duty high temp 475 degrees. the brand i got is brake best select. says its formulated for abs, disc, and drum brakes.

• mweitz

Posted October 18, 2009 - 10:21 PM

Removing your brakes shouldn't allow any fluid to leak.

Can you tell us exactly what you were doing and how / where it leaked?

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 19, 2009 - 07:40 AM

i removed the hoses

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 19, 2009 - 07:47 AM

i didnt actually remove the rear brakes just the hose, and i removed the hose and the front brake along with the forks. i swapped the forks with yz426f ones and just left the brakes attached to the forks. the fluid came out of the hoses. i need to bleed the brakes and add fluid. my back one still works but the front doesnt at all. never done it before

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mweitz

Posted October 19, 2009 - 08:01 AM

There are a lot of walkthroughs for bleeding the brakes on the web. Some are very difficult to do.

http://tinyurl.com/yjwpkym

Most shops charge about 20 bucks per to bleed them.

• tribalbc

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:24 PM

Go back to the auto parts store and get a one man brake bleeder. Costs less than $10, just a one way valve. Open master cylinder and bleed screw and start pumping. Just make sure you never let the MC run dry. Easy, might take you 10min.

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:43 PM

i think the master cylinder is pretty much empty now. if i pull the lever in it does nothing. no tension almost. is that normal with it not having any fluid in it?

• tribalbc

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:45 PM

i think the master cylinder is pretty much empty now. if i pull the lever in it does nothing. no tension almost. is that normal with it not having any fluid in it?

Yes it is

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 20, 2009 - 04:44 PM

do i need a certain size tool to bleed the brakes to pump the air out. you said to go to the auto parts store and i was wondering if i had to get the exact size of the bolt fitting on that tool to fit the bolt on the bike. also i need to fill the resovoir with fluid while bleeding right? thanks

• mweitz

Posted October 20, 2009 - 06:39 PM

:bonk:

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 20, 2009 - 07:05 PM

never mind i read your post agian and you said to get a man brake bleeder and dont let the fluid run dry. thanks

• bakeyz426f

Posted October 21, 2009 - 05:16 PM

i bought a vacum type bleeder and ended up not using it. i pumped the lever and bubbles of air would come out and i did that tilll they stopped. also put a zip tie to the lever tp hold it down for a while. my results arent great the brakes are still kind of spogey. the front brake works at least now alright. i think the back one can lock the reaar wheel. the front could still use some improvement though. should i try the vacum bleeder? do i just attach it to the front brake bleed nipple and start pumping?

• tribalbc

Posted October 21, 2009 - 05:34 PM

i bought a vacum type bleeder and ended up not using it. i pumped the lever and bubbles of air would come out and i did that tilll they stopped. also put a zip tie to the lever tp hold it down for a while. my results arent great the brakes are still kind of spogey. the front brake works at least now alright. i think the back one can lock the reaar wheel. the front could still use some improvement though. should i try the vacum bleeder? do i just attach it to the front brake bleed nipple and start pumping?

If by vacuum bleeder you mean the one way valve attached to some brake bleeding line then yes, just attach to bleed nipple, crack it open and start pumping. Be sure to not let the mc run dry and keep pumping untill no more air bubbles are coming out the nipple.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.