First ride on First Dirt Bike

8 replies to this topic
  • mff18b

Posted October 15, 2009 - 06:02 PM

Hey all....just wanted to send out a note to let everyone know that I finally got a day to go out and take the first ride on my first dirt bike. Got my 07 WR 450 recently and after finishing up the Mods and a new pipe...I re jetted it with the help of a buddy. What a pain in the butt....anyway. Took the bike to Wayne National Forest and gave it a shot for my first official dirt ride...was not sure what to expect since Ive been riding street bikes up to this point. Anyway...all I have to say is wow......big smile across my face as I screamed down the trails at a whopping 10 mph or so. Got alot more comfortable during the day, got quicker and just had a great time all around. But one question to you there a way to put a little more tension on that throttle. I know on my street bike I can tighten the tension up if I chose. I imagine that it is just a matter of getting used to it but it felt really really easy to accidentally twist a little too I found out several times.
Anyway, just wanted to get that question out and to let you know that I had a great time scaring the myself to death.

• ASternad

Posted October 15, 2009 - 09:47 PM

Never hear of anyone wanting a tighter pull, usually they want the opposite. In the end it's like you said, got to get use to it. Remember to stand whenever possible and a little less death grip on the throttle and you will scare yourself less and less. Welcome to the other side!

• yammy225ttr

Posted October 15, 2009 - 09:49 PM

suppose you could measure the stock spring in your carbs throat slide. Then replace it with a heavier guage spring.

• 03Dmax

Posted October 15, 2009 - 11:30 PM

Congratulations. The best way to get better is to ride, ride and ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YZEtc

Posted October 16, 2009 - 03:33 AM

Tell you what - I'll trade you even-Steven for my 2008 WR-250R dual-purpose bike.
That way, you can open the throttle any ol' way you want and I can guarantee you that it will be less troublesome while you learn the ropes. :bonk:

Seriously, just like has been mentioned:
You simply need more practice and acclaimation time to your new-found habit and equipment.
I've had tons of off-road and street-going sportbikes over the years, and typically, it does take a bit more effort to twist the throttle on the typical 4-cylindered street bike.

Also, as stated, you'll need to get up off the seat and get your legs (whole body, actually) into the act of absorbing the bumps and maintaining fine control of the bike over rough ground.
A fair bit of the time is spent off the seat, legs bent, and knees squeezing the bike.
Staying in the seat all the time leads to getting tossed around like a sack of potatoes.

Don't fear, though, because once you adapt to your WR, you'll wonder what the fuss was about. :bonk:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted October 16, 2009 - 06:10 PM

Whoa, never put a stronger spring on a carb: it changes the way you hold the handlebars, which is dangerous. The throttle should be really easy to open and release with very little effort. You need to adjust to the bike, not adjust the bike to you.

• eds_tls

Posted October 16, 2009 - 06:22 PM

throttle cams

• CORider63

Posted October 16, 2009 - 06:33 PM

• panaman

Posted October 19, 2009 - 04:28 AM

coming from a 1997 XR400 where I could just give it all the gas in the world and it didn't matter...... it took me a few rides on the WR450 to get use to the snappy throttle response...... but now I am find with it.....

like everyone said... just ride it more and you will get used to it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.