A couple 05 WR 450F fork questions

5 replies to this topic
  • dirtfanatic50

Posted October 15, 2009 - 05:49 PM

What type forks does my 05 wr450 have, twin chamber or cartridge, How can you tell ? All I know is there 48mm KYB, I'm planning on changing the seals And have saw video's for doing both types, Also I have a manual to help me along.
And are there any good alternatives to oem seals? I'm concidering Synergy seals. Has anyone used these, And do you like them. Just looking for some good seals that will last. Also have heard that a lot of the aftermarket ones are no good. Any info useful, Thank you

• YamaLink

Posted October 15, 2009 - 05:58 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a Showa-like twin chamber. I think it's called Air Oil Separate System.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:53 AM

What type forks does my 05 wr450 have, twin chamber or cartridge, How can you tell ? All I know is there 48mm KYB, I'm planning on changing the seals And have saw video's for doing both types, Also I have a manual to help me along.
And are there any good alternatives to oem seals? I'm concidering Synergy seals. Has anyone used these, And do you like them. Just looking for some good seals that will last. Also have heard that a lot of the aftermarket ones are no good. Any info useful, Thank you

They are cartridge forks.

I have the exact same bike. This the one I used which was perfect.

be sure to get yourself a 48mm seal driver. I tried the trick with PVC tubing before, but it didn't work out for me. It does work for some though. The proper fork seal driver was a lot easier to work with.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MaddogYZ

Posted October 19, 2009 - 06:33 PM

I blew a seal out this weekend so I'm doing a seal job also. What oil wt. should I put in?

• dirtfanatic50

Posted October 20, 2009 - 04:50 AM

Yes thank you , They are canister type. I checked the shop. Bought a new seal driver & bullit off ebay really cheap, Also saw that video before and a couple others, seems to be a pretty simple job. Can't wait to get started.
Thanks again.

To maddog ,The manual just says ( suspension oil S1 )

• oldmanx

Posted October 20, 2009 - 06:44 AM

Yes thank you , They are canister type. I checked the shop. Bought a new seal driver & bullit off ebay really cheap, Also saw that video before and a couple others, seems to be a pretty simple job. Can't wait to get started.
Thanks again.

To maddog ,The manual just says ( suspension oil S1 )

The S1 is Yamaha's suspension oil...expensive!! We've been using 5wt BelRay...seems to work just fine. I believe that the S1 is a bit less in "weight" than 5wt.

Maddog: are you sure that the seal is gone? Maybe you just have some dirt (Ohio mud) in it. Have you tried the film trick?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.